Decision Time: MRI Me ASAP

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Decision Time: MRI Me ASAP

Postby Brian Lovett » May 2nd, 2011, 8:13 am

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett will share a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, then see how things actually turned out.

MRI Me ASAP

No, I hadn't scouted. How could I have? I live seven-plus hours from northern Missouri, and I'd driven down on a Friday night to hunt the weekend.

I had friends there, of course, and they'd provided me with the MRI (most recent information). We planned to set up at a small blind in a corner pasture where a gobbler had been strutting regularly. My buddy said the turkey was usually there by 7 a.m. and never had hens. That sounded good to me.

The next morning dawned cool and cloudy, and the only gobbling turkey was a country mile away. Two bearded hens pitched off their roost and sailed right into my decoy, but no gobbler showed. Right after flydown, however, a turkey hammered from the opposite end of the field. Loud yelping let me know he had plenty of ladies with him.

Dang it! The breeding flock was hidden by a pasture ridge, and there was no good way for me to approach the birds. And after a few minutes, it became apparent the turkeys were headed the other way.

I could attempt an end-around, but it might take more than a half-hour for me to get into the timber and circle toward the birds. Or, I could slither up the hill and try to sneak within range of the retreating turkeys. I could also stick to the plan and wait in the makeshift blind, hoping the breeding flock drifted toward me or the 7 a.m. strutter appeared.

The Missouri minutes were ticking away.

What would you have done? Post your decision below.

Click here for Lovett's decision.

Click here to get all the great new turkey gear for the Spring 2011 season!

educote

RE: Decision Time: MRI Me ASAP

Postby educote » May 2nd, 2011, 12:31 pm

It depends on how much time you had that day and on that trip. The most valuable information is the location of the gobbler. If only a short time, I'd be more aggressive seeking the flock. If days to hunt, I'd probably slow down a bit and give it more time.

Ed

Cut N Run

RE: Decision Time: MRI Me ASAP

Postby Cut N Run » May 2nd, 2011, 4:31 pm

You didn't say what phase of the season you were hunting in. If it was early, then good luck getting that guy from his girlfriends. If it was mid- to late season, they might tow him around a bit before he decided to seek some fresh opportunities & you'd get a good chance. Late season I just don't see flocks of hens much.

If they were headed off in the other direction, going for broke might cost you & spook the birds. If you planned to hunt the next day as well, they might fall back into a more regular routine. If the property isn't really big, I'd say wait him out & you might get a crack at him later in the day.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Return to Decision Time