GAME OVER AGAIN!!

TURKEYBOSS

GAME OVER AGAIN!!

Postby TURKEYBOSS » April 27th, 2011, 9:27 am

OPENING MORNING OF THE 3RD SEASON AND WISCONSIN.......

SO NOW IT IS MY TIME TO BE ON THE GUN! WITH FIRST LIGHT AT ABOUT 5:30 AM I WANTED TO BE IN EARLY SO I WAS IN THE WOODS BEFORE 4:30. HAD PLANNED ON SITTING IN A GROUND BLIND THAT I HAD SETUP THE WEEK BEFORE, BUT WHEN I GOT TO THE SPOT WHERE THE BLIND WAS THERE WAS NO BLIND JUST CHAIRS AND BAGS.... THE STRONGS WINDS HAD BLOWN MY BLIND AND THERE WAS NO WAY TO LOCATE IT IN THE DARK SO I WENT TO MY BACK UP SETFUP SPOT ON THE SAME FARM. SO BY 4:50 I WAS ALL SETUP IN MY CABELAS GOBBLER LOUNGE WITH MY PRETTY BOY AND PRETTY PENNY ALONG WITH MY NEW AVIAN X FEEDING HEN DECOY SETUP OUT IN FRONT OF ME. SO AFTER BEING SETUP FOR ONLY ABOUT 20 MINUTES I COULD HEAR SOMETHING IN THE PICKED CORN FIELD BEHIND ME SO I SLOWLY TURNED MY HEAD ONLY TO SEE 2 COYOTES ONLY 10 YARDS BEHIND ME. THEY EITHER CAUGHT MY WIND OR SEEN ME MOVE, BUT THEY JOGGED OFF AWAY FROM ME. SO BY NOW ITS ABOUT 5:20 I NO MORE THAN PUT MY PHONE BACK INTO MY VEST AND A TOM GOBBLE NOT 75 YARDS FROM ME. I WAITED TILL IT GOT TO SHOOTING LIGHT AND THEN STARTED SOFT CALLING TO HIM, HE WOULD RESPONED ALMOST EVERYTIME. AFTER A LITTLE BIT I WENT SILENT AFTER ONLY A COUPLE MINUTES OF BEING QUIET HE GOBBLED AND ANOTHER TOM GOBBLED ABOUT 200 YARDS AWAY IN THE SAME WOODS, SO NOW HE PITCHED INTO THE FIELD BUT DIDNT COME RIGHT DOWN TO ME HE WENT AWAY TOWARDS THE OTHER TOM. WHICH HAPPENED TO BE RIGHT WHERE MY BLIND SHOULD HAVE BEEN! SO I JUST KEPT CALLING AT HIM AND HE WOULD RESPONED ALMOST EVERY TIME I CALLED. I LOST SIGHT OF HIM AS HE WENT BEHING A FINGER THAT STUCK OUT OF THE WOODS HE APPEARED AGAIN QUICKLY WITH A BUDDY WITH HIM. SO NOW THERE ARE 2 STRUTTING TOMS ABOUT 200 YARDS AWAY AND CLOSING THE DISTANCE. THEY GOT TO ABOUT 60 AND HUNG UP A LITTLE, BUT THEN A HEN PITCHED DOWN RIGHT INTO MY DECOYS THAT GOT THE TOMS TO COMMIT JUST ENOUGH FOR ME TO GET THE SHOT OFF. AT 45 YARDS I YELP AS HARD AS I COULD THE STUCK HIS HEAD OUT TO GOBBLE AND I SQUEEZED OF THE SHOT. DEAD IN HIS TRACKS!

AFTER QUICKLY GETTING OUT TO HIM AND STANDING ON THE HEAD WHILE HE FLAPPED HIS WINGS, I GOT MY TAG OUT PUT IT ON HIM CARRIED HIM BACK TO WHERE I WAS SETUP. PULLED OUT MY PHONE AND IT WAS JUST 6 AM. DEFINETLY THE FAST HUNT I HAVE EVER HAD!

ME AND MY 2 NIECES WITH MY 2011 BIRD!

10 5/8 INCH BEARD
3/4 SPURS
17.5 LBS

kenturkey89

RE: GAME OVER AGAIN!!

Postby kenturkey89 » April 27th, 2011, 9:33 am

Congrats on your bird Turkeyboss, sounds like a fine morning!
Brian

dewey

Postby dewey » April 27th, 2011, 9:42 am

Congratulations turkeyboss on the fast hunt! Do you have any more tags in WI or any where else?

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

gutpiler

Postby gutpiler » April 27th, 2011, 12:32 pm

Congrats and nice bird!.....it seems your niece in your arms is a little sad .......lol

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 28th, 2011, 4:34 am

Congrats on your bird. [;)]
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

joeturkey

Postby joeturkey » April 28th, 2011, 5:24 am

Congrats Turkeyboss; nice looking tom u have there[:)]. I'm heading up tonite to try and call in a fatboy for my daughter in the morning. Friday looks like it could be the best weather day of the week!! Good luck and Good hunting  Joe
"You need to drink a few large glasses of beer tonight. That is the only solution. "

Ben Franklin

putt

Postby putt » April 28th, 2011, 6:33 am

Good bird, Turkeyboss.  Thanks for the story & the photo.

I'm feeling old again after reading your story.  I wondered why you kept pulling out your cellphone.  Then I realized that you young guys no longer wear wristwatches ... you use your phone to read the time.

TURKEYBOSS

Postby TURKEYBOSS » April 28th, 2011, 8:17 am

THANKS DEWEY! I DO HAVE ONE MORE TAG FOR WISCONSIN, I BOUGHT AND EXTRA TAG FOR ZONE 2 FOR THE LAST WEEK. HOPING TO TRY TO TAKE MY SECOND BIRD WITH MY BOW!

TURKEYBOSS

Postby TURKEYBOSS » April 28th, 2011, 8:20 am

THANKS GUTPILER, SHE WAS A LITTLE SCARED OF THE BIRD AT FIRST BUT ONCE PICS WERE DONE AND I WAS CLEANING THE BIRD SHE WAS RIGHT THERE WITH ME HELPING ME DO IT.

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » May 2nd, 2011, 5:14 am

Nice turkey TURKEYBOSS.   It is a little bitter sweet shooting em that quick but in view of the way the weather has been there is no time like the present to take one.  Congratulations.
And way to start introducing your nieces.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Return to Wisconsin