SHOW US OUR N.Y TURKEY

grizzly

SHOW US OUR N.Y TURKEY

Postby grizzly » April 20th, 2011, 10:48 am

i started this thread so you can tell us your story and post your pictures when you score
that new york tom. we know that there are some great toms in our state so lets see'em
GOOD LUCK EVERY ONE AND BE SAFE[:)] wayne

Sgtshultzy1

RE: SHOW US OUR N.Y TURKEY

Postby Sgtshultzy1 » April 21st, 2011, 3:15 pm

By the title of your topic,  I thought you were going to post a pic of our illustrious senator Chuck.... [:D]

retranger

Postby retranger » May 1st, 2011, 1:37 pm

Sometime last week I picked up some bug out of the great northern air that someone had turned loose, so I had called my buddy and told him I probably wouldn't be hunting. As it turned out he didn't have anyone to go with (fairly new to the sport) and he was just going behind his house so I told him if I felt better I would go but not at first light. OK he was going behind his house at first light and I would call him later. About 0845 I called and said I would go to our usual spot on a power line about a half hour from home. OK ,,,0900 We arrived and did the short but steep walk up to the line,,,,,,,,no birds. We walked up the hill on the line to get to our spot and did see one track on the way there and some scratching on the top of the hill. 1000 hrs we set up at top of the hill and give a few yelps and clucks on the freak and box,,,,,nothing. Wait about 15 and do it again,,,nothing. Shortly after that we got blowed off the tree we were against by a gobble not 50 yards from us. Make things short,,,,,,,I could not see the bird and didn't think it was in sight yet so I gave a couple soft calls but no gobble,,,,,the only thing I heard was the loud noise sending the number 4's into the gobblers head at 15 yards. A real nice 2 year old. 21 pounds, 7/8" spurs and a 9 3/8" brush with beard rot.
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » May 1st, 2011, 3:23 pm

Way to go Congrats. on a good bird.

Jon
Turkeybuster

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » May 1st, 2011, 4:19 pm

Very nice bird retranger.

grizzly

Postby grizzly » May 1st, 2011, 7:36 pm

CONGRADS DOUG ON A FINE TOM[:)]wayne

SpurHuntinHillbilly

Postby SpurHuntinHillbilly » May 3rd, 2011, 1:00 am

Awesome bird!

dewey

Postby dewey » May 3rd, 2011, 5:29 am

Way to go Doug on the fine gobbler.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Limb Hanger

Postby Limb Hanger » May 3rd, 2011, 12:34 pm

Congratulations Doug!
Meadowblaster Custom Turkey Calls

Just because he isn't gobbl'n, doesn't mean he isn't listen'n!

retranger

Postby retranger » May 3rd, 2011, 2:59 pm

Thanks fellows,,,,I guess I didn't put it in the post but by buddy shot the bird,,,,,,,but I had just as much fun sitting there watching him shake waiting for the gobbler to get to a spot so he could shoot. He was still shaking half hour after. Great time.
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

Next

Return to New York