Team #7...The Sunrise Assassins

The general page for the annual turkey hunting contest. Tons of fun even if you're not on a team.
rweyman

RE: Team #7...The Sunrise Assassins

Postby rweyman » April 21st, 2011, 10:19 am

Hello Guys!! Just wondering how we are doing so far in the contest, compared to the other teams. I'm done here in Ky. 3 more weekends to go, but out of tags. I will be calling for some friends of mine to help them try and fill their tags before the end of the season. Good luck to everyone still hunting and to all those who haven't even got a shot at them yet.

kdsberman

Postby kdsberman » April 23rd, 2011, 10:17 am

My season has been going on since Monday, but today was my first day out. My first 5 minutes of hunting a had a tom respond to my calls. About 5 minutes later I had 4 jakes come walk in about 10 yards from me, looking for my calling. Thought they were gonna bust me and start putting, therefore blowing my hunt. But they just walked off. About 15 minutes later I had another tom respond to my calls, except this one was coming in. I spotted him out about 60 yards strutting and looking, but unfortunately he just kinda walked off as if he just all of a sudden lost interest. Never heard or seen anything after than except the sound of gusting winds.

Tomorrow is forecasted to be great weather, so I might do an all-dayer.
Mossberg 835
Mueller MX1 Red Dot
Primos Jellyhead Choke
Nitro H517's 4x5x7 Hevi-Shot

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » April 23rd, 2011, 1:57 pm

sounds like a good day, you can't kill one everyday, wouldn't be the same, keep after 'em, w/ that many birds around, it's just a matter of time.....GOOD LUCK
David

You never know, unless you go

rweyman

Postby rweyman » April 23rd, 2011, 3:18 pm

Sounds like it should be a good day! Get out there and bring home the Easter Turkey!!!  Good Luck!!

kdsberman

Postby kdsberman » April 24th, 2011, 11:28 am

Man what a day again. Half hour after sunrise I heard gobbling but couldnt get em' in. About noon I managed to call in a nice tom from quite a distance, but no surprise he hung up about 70 yards away and strutted and gobbled for about an hour and a half. Knowing that most likely he wasnt gonna come in, I decided to walk around the edge of the property to try him from the other side. He STILL stayed in the same spot. So, again knowing he probably wont get any closer to THAT spot, I moved in closer. Well, he must have busted me cuz I never heard him gobble again.

Heard one gobble a few hours later, but that was it. Hunted from sunrise to 4:30 and came home empty handed.

I question myself why I am so obsessed with such a frustrating hobby.
Mossberg 835
Mueller MX1 Red Dot
Primos Jellyhead Choke

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » April 24th, 2011, 3:20 pm

everybody on this forum has asked themselves the same question at one time or another, i quess the answer is cuz it's quite a rush when you get to work one, and when it does come together that's just icing on the cake.....that tom came from a long way to your calling, that's a good thing, he just wanted the hen to come the rest of the way, that's how it works, keep after him, he'll let his guard down sooner or later......sounds like there are quite a few around, be patient, you'll get one.....
David

You never know, unless you go

rweyman

Postby rweyman » April 24th, 2011, 3:53 pm

Like David said, you will know why when you finally put your tag on that bird! If I can help, this is how I chase those hard to kill birds. Stay after him, watch and learn where he likes to be. If you can, watch where he roosts, and figure out he's path to his strut zone. This way you know how to get to your set up without spooking him. Then set up at his strut zone and let him come to you. Don't over call to him, just let him know that you are there, stay patient and fill your tag. Stay with it, and when you get him, you can let us know why we do this!! Good Luck - Ron

kdsberman

Postby kdsberman » April 25th, 2011, 5:58 am

Thanks guys. Just to let ya know, i dont ACTUALLY question why I turkey hunt. I've shot several birds, so I know what its like to tag one. Its a great feeling. But man is it frustrating when ALMOST everything goes right.
Mossberg 835
Mueller MX1 Red Dot
Primos Jellyhead Choke

kdsberman

Postby kdsberman » May 4th, 2011, 10:46 am

Good luck to you guys, as my season is done. It was done before it started thanks to the worst weather I've ever had to deal with during turkey season. Here in mid-Michigan, it rained, and rained, and rained some more. It was a lake everywhere. If it wasnt raining, i was working. If I wasnt working, I was sick. I made it out 3 times. A whopping 3 times. Lol

Anyways, Im looking forward to next year. Good luck to you guys.
Mossberg 835
Mueller MX1 Red Dot
Primos Jellyhead Choke

Previous

Return to Base Camp