closing the distance

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
kody.simpson

closing the distance

Postby kody.simpson » April 20th, 2011, 3:35 pm

so i am an avid hunter and have been very successful in the turkey woods. one issue i continue to have is, when i hear them i think they are further than they really are. no matter what i do i often bust them. is there any advice out there?

SpitnDrum

RE: closing the distance

Postby SpitnDrum » April 20th, 2011, 8:18 pm

If the leaves are full on the trees its easy to do.Keep in mind they sound farther when they turn away from ya on the limb regardless.Just look at the layout of the ground.Think about echo if your around hollows and such and put more experience under your belt.After the hunt is over or when I'm scouting before season,once the coast is clear I will go check out where the bird was roosted.This will help you judge distance of the sound in future hunts.
Kentucky Briar Jumper

A Kitchen-Dog is never a good rabbit HUNTER!

kody.simpson

Postby kody.simpson » April 22nd, 2011, 1:12 pm

Thanks that really makes a lot of since. I'll give it a shot

mark hay

Postby mark hay » April 27th, 2011, 12:21 pm

Around the public land I hunt , there are lots of farms with barking dogs and crowing roosters . Them da'gum roosters never sleep it seems . I use them as a guage . I know where they are and how far away they are . When I hear that gobble I can then estimate how close to get . Knowing the lay of the land also helps .
 And , like has already been brought up , the foliage will effect the carry of sound . Also which direction he is facing ,,,wind direction and strength ,,,on the ground or in a tree .
 I have also made it a habit of looking right at any crow I hear just to see how far away it is ,,,another guage of distance.

I know there is a lot of hunters who work at getting as close to the roost as possible . Many I have read about willing admit they bump a lot of birds off the roost . Personally , I'd rather have him hit the ground unspooked , even if he walks away . At least then I can reposition and try something else to fool him . Bumped from the roost is generally a spooked bird and he may be hard to get interested in your calls . Just something to think about .

Return to Strategies