Conclusion: Col. Kurtz and the Heart of Darkness

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » April 20th, 2011, 5:14 am

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, and then see how things actually turned out.

The best idea, of course, was to listen for the bird from the field and then move or make a setup depending on the turkey's location. But as you probably noticed, I had never hunted that turkey at fly-down time. Why? I'd been stuck on another evil turkey elsewhere. I couldn't kill that bird, either, so it made even more sense to try Col. Kurtz from the field at flydown.

But I didn't. I tried the other turkey and whiffed. Then I went in on Col. Kurtz at about 9 a.m. He wasn't in the big northern field, so I figure I'd slip along the logging road to the southwestern edge of the farm, which, as mentioned, as the one area where I'd never seen him.

My calls netted no responses, so I continued easing along, hoping to eventually peek out into the neighboring fields. About 50 yards from the edge, however, Col. Kurtz and his tribe poked their heads up, busted me and high-tailed it off the property.

Unreal. The illogical plan of going where they'd never been might have actually worked -- if the bird had answered a call before I blundered in and boogered him.

I love the smell of failure in the morning.

What decision did you make?

Click here to return to the scenario.

Click here to get all the great new gear you need for the Spring 2011 season!

dewey

RE: Conclusion: Col. Kurtz and the Heart of Darkness

Postby dewey » April 20th, 2011, 6:15 am

Did you ever terminate his command with extreme predjudice?

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Brian Lovett

RE: Conclusion: Col. Kurtz and the Heart of Darkness

Postby Brian Lovett » April 20th, 2011, 7:43 am

Nope. Col. Kurtz and the tribe busted me on the final day of the season. Hopefully we'll continue the engagement this spring.

Return to Decision Time