Need Stories

putt

Need Stories

Postby putt » April 18th, 2011, 6:39 am

Hey you first-period Wisconsin turkey hunters.  I'm suffering turkey hunting withdrawal, & need hunting stories to get me through to when my fourth period finally comes around.  I need to be reassured that the turkeys made it though another Wisconsin winter. 

Doesn't matter if you bagged one or had a close encounter or just heard a few.  First period hunting stories, please.

Hope the weather was better for you those 5 days than it was here in NE Wis ... many of the 5 days were high winds, cold, & rain/snow.

putt

arrowsonly

RE: Need Stories

Postby arrowsonly » April 19th, 2011, 5:08 am

How about this BS weather it's deer huntin' time ? I was to be in MN right now but it's not to be...
The area I hunt is right in the Bulls eye & I plow snow, never thought I would have needed to make arangements for someone to cover me...
We might get 8" or so here in the Valley, WTH...
look em' in the eye before you give em' the shaft...
be a man hunt public land...

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 19th, 2011, 2:47 pm

Yeah this weather is nuts. I'm liking the 3rd season better an better, if this weather settles down those birds are going to be on fire,
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

putt

Postby putt » April 20th, 2011, 2:05 am

ORIGINAL: WillowRidgeCalls

Yeah this weather is nuts.

Here's what NE Wis looks like today on opening morning of Period B.  We got 9.9" of slushy yesterday.
(This is my 1st try at adding photos ... hope it works)

dewey

Postby dewey » April 20th, 2011, 4:24 am

Photos look good putt. At least the turkeys should stand out against the white snow. Good luck on the hunt putt.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » April 22nd, 2011, 2:56 pm

Yeah that is exactly what my opening day looked like and yes you could see the turkeys very nicely against all that white.  Even with snow camos that is a 2 way street- advantage turkey. 
Was bookended by 2 gobblers; while my attention was riveted on them a third walked up 5 yds on my weak side.  Got that feeling something was staring at me and as my eyes locked as far right as they go I was looking down an open beak yelling putt with wings clawing for air.
The weather has been bad, very bad everyday so far but the turkeys have been very active in spite of it.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » April 22nd, 2011, 3:00 pm

9.9" of slushy

Yikes just reread and noticed the amount.  We only got 3" of that. Its all melted now I'll count my blessings.[:)]
later,
charlie

joeturkey

Postby joeturkey » April 23rd, 2011, 6:59 am

6 inches in reedsburg; Left work tues. night planning on saving some gas driving my older car. Got word of blizzard conditions and headed home for the truck before I left town. Was a good decision. I didn't think to pack some snow camo, not so good! Hunted 3 days- weather was cold, windy, rainy and just plain nasty. Got lucky friday morning before wind picked up and shot 19lb. 14oz. jake. He wasn't the big ol fatboy I was looking for, but considering the weather he'll do nicely![:)] Here's hoping for better weather in all our upcoming hunts. Good luck  Joe
"You need to drink a few large glasses of beer tonight. That is the only solution. "

Ben Franklin

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » May 2nd, 2011, 5:49 am

shot 19lb. 14oz. jake.

WOW that is a huge jake must be a state record jake; Congratulations!
later,
charlie

Return to Wisconsin