Team #9..."Dead Gobblers Don't Lie"

The general page for the annual turkey hunting contest. Tons of fun even if you're not on a team.
DonMcJr

RE: Team #9..."Dead Gobblers Don't Lie"

Postby DonMcJr » April 17th, 2011, 8:48 am

Nice one! Come on May 3rd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![&:]

SCHUNTER

Postby SCHUNTER » April 19th, 2011, 11:57 am

Hello everyone sorry i have not been on in a while.but between work and hunting that dont leave too much time for anything but sleep.it has been a tough first  2 weeks.a lot of close calls and a few blowen set-ups = no bird yet.could have taken a jake but let him walk away.waiting on MR.Longbeard.this weekend is looking good as of this morning. because they are allowing hunting on a local air force base for the second year  and i was call this morning and told my name came up.put my name on the list last year.only the 2nd time ever that they have allowed hunting on base.so maybe it will be a good morning.I think i will break out the shotgun for that day.just to have the extra reach.Don them are some nice birds that you have been seeing good luck with them.Good Luck everyone will check in later.

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » April 19th, 2011, 12:25 pm

Good luck at Shaw. I've heard good things about it.
South Carolina Low Country

DonMcJr

Postby DonMcJr » April 20th, 2011, 1:49 am

Howdy SCHunter! That's pretty cool about the base! Bet there's some nice old beards there! Good luck! I don't get to see my camera footage til Thursday.. stuck in the city at my wife house during the week sure wish thus house market would rise so we can sell it and move to my house in the country!

NMblackgold

Postby NMblackgold » April 21st, 2011, 9:30 am

Hi team, been away from civilization for a week now, just finished up my hunt in MO. Took a bird yesterday, now on my way to TX for 4 days. Will check back in after that. I will post bird details after May 10th when I finally wrap up in NM. Best of luck to you all.

DonMcJr

Postby DonMcJr » April 22nd, 2011, 2:13 am

Still can't hunt but I got another Video on my "Apple Tree" Trail cam Back in da woods...

Video Tom 4-18-2011

DonMcJr

Postby DonMcJr » April 22nd, 2011, 4:42 am

Had 2 Hens right behind my house so I opened up a window and got out my calls to see how they reacted since I don't hunt from my house lol! It was pretty cool, no sound on the security camera but they were Purring and Clucking back...I must be able to speak Turkey Language pretty well...LOL! :lol:

Here's the Video Link>>>> Video- Calling to Hens

Here's the Still Photos

joeturkey

Postby joeturkey » April 23rd, 2011, 5:42 am

Hey guys; Just got back from my 3 day hunt in wisconsin. Drove up tuesday night in a blizzard,6 inches of fresh snow on the ground and high winds overnite. I didn't even unpack my truck until 9 am next morning! Did see a nice tom 50 yards from camper at 8am though-lol. Thursday birds were gobbling hard in the morning. One problem though, high winds again at night and temperature drop to 25 degees left all the snow crusted and extremely noisy and crunchy to walk on. I stayed in my field edge blind in fear of chasing all the turkeys into the next county! No luck. Weatherman said rain, thunderstorms,high winds again for friday? Got in nice and early friday morning and snuck in to the roost area on the back ridge of the property. At first light I noticed a bird 50 yards away downhill. I waited for the first tom of the day to sound off on his own. And waited, nothing happened. Owl hooted,crow called, hen called, never heard a single gobble from my woods or even closeby? Hiked out and took atv over to the other side of the road on friends property. Had birds gobbling far and then near. Long story, short version took 19lb.14oz. jake that strutted and gobbled hard at my decoy at 0845. I really wanted to hold out for the longbeards,but considering the weather, when the red dot found it's mark I headed for warmth and breakfast! One down and hopefully better weather for the upcoming tags and weeks. I'm going next weekend with the girls, wife and daughters hunt. Maybe I can call up a fatboy for them. The only picture I have for the jake is on my cell phone and I will try and post later. Good luck and Good hunting  Joe
"You need to drink a few large glasses of beer tonight. That is the only solution. "

Ben Franklin

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » April 24th, 2011, 4:08 pm

Heading for Missouri in the morning. I'll report from there if I can.

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

NMblackgold

Postby NMblackgold » April 25th, 2011, 1:07 pm

Go get em Jeff, this year was the toughest hunting conditions I have ever experienced in MO. I hope you find it better than I left it....

PreviousNext

Return to Base Camp