HOGS

retranger

HOGS

Postby retranger » April 14th, 2011, 9:44 am

Not a turkey subject but I saw a news segment on YNN today that said wild hogs were getting out of control in NY. I suspect it must be south and west of Syracuse. Any body have any insight? Just curious
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

grizzly

RE: HOGS

Postby grizzly » April 14th, 2011, 10:30 am

what little i know about it i heard there are some out in the far west counties along lake erie but i'm afraid that now they're here it won't take long before they start spreading tough out the state[:@]wayne 

grizzly

Postby grizzly » April 14th, 2011, 12:22 pm

Doug after thinking about it a little more this really is a turkey subject after seeing pictures of the land these pigs have rutted up i can only see they would be destoying any nests the may be there and most likely eating the eggs as well[8|] wayne

retranger

Postby retranger » April 14th, 2011, 12:27 pm

That is true. They had pics of them where ever they were and the DEC was involved. I know down south they are all over from what I hear. I think we should have an early hog season1111[;)][;)]
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow

longspur

Postby longspur » April 15th, 2011, 6:11 am

Hog season is all year. West is also what I am hearing. Hopefully they wont get too out of control. 

fightingspurs

Postby fightingspurs » April 15th, 2011, 10:24 am

Yep you are correct That it is all year long as of right now AND you dont need a tag for them they have been reported in the Androndac Mountains region or however you spell it LOL......Its in the hunting regs book this year and last it is easy to miss just a small add but you must report all kills and thats it they want them eradicated from NY........

Happy Hunting
Scott

P.S. longspur i thought were in london????
Fightingspurs game calls - GOT BLOOD!!!

grizzly

Postby grizzly » April 15th, 2011, 11:07 am

thanks Scott that a good thing to know[;)]wayne

retranger

Postby retranger » April 15th, 2011, 1:22 pm

they have been reported in the Androndac Mountains region or however you spell it

WHERE in the Adirondacks Scott?? [:-][:-] I have not heard of them being here.[8|] I would gladly try to take some out!!!

SpurHuntinHillbilly

Postby SpurHuntinHillbilly » April 15th, 2011, 2:49 pm

Shoot everyone of them that you see! Trust me...I've been down here in S.E. Georgia for a year now and this place is overrun with them. The turkey population will be fine because there are birds everywhere here but I can tell you they will destroy corn fields or soybean fields! The farmers pay people to kill them down here. I heard some got loose down in the Cortland area off a fenced in place and are breeding like crazy now. Bad news for the Southern Tier. I shot 2 this year and they make awesome table fare but it's not worth it for the state to keep em around. If you get a chance to shoot one I highly recommend a head shot or low behind the shoulder quartered away. The flat landers down here use anything from a .22 mag (head shot only) up to a .308. No way in heck can you get thru the shoulder so dont even try it. It's like a shield of armor! The boar I got this December was 185lbs and I popped him in the head at 60 yds with my 7mm-08 and he still tried to get up and get a piece of me. If you happen across them they are blind as hell but can hear and smell like its nobody's business. Just make sure you have an escape route or can get up a tree because they will charge!

fightingspurs

Postby fightingspurs » April 16th, 2011, 9:53 am

ORIGINAL: retranger

they have been reported in the Androndac Mountains region or however you spell it

WHERE in the Adirondacks Scott?? [:-][:-] I have not heard of them being here.[8|] I would gladly try to take some out!!!

Im not really sure where just going on what the dec stated..... i will find out for you....
scott
Fightingspurs game calls - GOT BLOOD!!!

Next

Return to New York