Unit One River Hunt

charlie elk

Unit One River Hunt

Postby charlie elk » May 2nd, 2011, 5:35 am

Just to get Putt a little more pumped for his upcoming unit 1 hunt and Dewey for his river hunt; here is a turkey killed at 9 yds at 6 AM May 1.
Hunting some flat lowland was a treat after all the snowy, wet slippery hill climbing of season 2.  I could only hunt the weekend of season 3 still had the snow mixed with rain and a little high wind just to keep it interesting.  Found a sheltered area where the turkeys were hanging out in very good numbers and responded well to lost hen yelping.  Truth be told I whiffed on a bunch of gobblers Saturday they just kept picking me out and walking off before I could shoot.  Then I realized the woods was very green so for Sunday I ditched my black grey camo for brown green.
Even though I was damp and cold Saturday I stayed until a gobbler roosted, marked the spot on GPS.  He flew down Sunday at 5:30 gobbling like crazy in the 20+ mph wind and sleet. He circled to my right side within 6 ft where there was no way to shoot, then circled back around the fallen tree top to the front.  At 8-9 yds he was head on gobbling at me non-stop for what seemed an entirety, my gun sling hanging on my knee.  He was so close I swear his spit was soaking my headnet with each gobble. Finally he raised his head up turned it sideways and a very graphic head picture tells the rest of the story.  If you are the queasy type do not scroll down.

[size="7"]WARNING GRAPHIC IMAGE[/size]

I like em close but this might be my close record.  The shot apparently did not make it out of the wad prior to impact.  You could see light through this 12 gauge size hole.  His head is intact all around the hole.

later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

dewey

RE: Unit One River Hunt

Postby dewey » May 2nd, 2011, 7:09 am

Nice work Charlie and thanks for the story. After this last weekend I am anxiously looking forward to May 12th-May15th.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » May 2nd, 2011, 10:12 am

Sounds like a very exciting hunt Charlie.

Nice shot too. No room very error on that one. No shot in the breast meat thought...eh?[:D]
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » May 2nd, 2011, 10:10 pm

Nice shot Charlie, I guess you really gave him an ear full.[:D]
Is it turkey season yet?

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » May 3rd, 2011, 4:29 pm

This morning someone emailed me the picture of the turkey's head with the title "Turkey Bin Laden"
Apparently it is making the rounds on the internet in honor of our Navy Seals.[:D][:D]
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

joeturkey

Postby joeturkey » May 3rd, 2011, 9:18 pm

Congrats Charlie; great story and what a great shot! There's no margin for error at that distance! You must have had a hard time keeping blood off of your favorite hunting pants carrying him back to the truck!![:)]  Good luck the rest of the year!   Joe
"You need to drink a few large glasses of beer tonight. That is the only solution. "

Ben Franklin

Return to Wisconsin