Catch and Release

roughrider123

Catch and Release

Postby roughrider123 » May 3rd, 2011, 6:32 am

Started today where I left off saturday looking for a longbeard. Hit the locater at 5:30 and boom bird sounds off. Get within 100yds and set -up. He is receptive to calling and I then waited until fly-down and hit him one last time. In they come, all 5 of them jakes with one strutting and gobbling. Played with them for a while because I heard 2 others behind me and though I could draw them in for a look see. No luck with other birds but now I hear yelping, I have company from another hunter so i move in deeper and set-up again. Starting a calling sequence and a response. One more call and he is coming. Same 5 Jakes and this time I had the red dot on each one's head. The other hunter has also moved behind me and he is yelping the same tune they tried earlier. Now I'm watching 5 birds give this guy the cold shoulder and he is 30yds behind me. I leave when they and the birds move off.
I have never parked at a spot someone already is at for that reason. He was there first so I move on and i expect others to follow suit when i arrive early.They heard me calling at 2 different set-ups and tried to cut in on me. I should of just taken a jake and ended the season right there. Sorry for venting but this crap pisses me off.

roughrider out

retranger

RE: Catch and Release

Postby retranger » May 3rd, 2011, 8:29 am

Are you sure it wasn't competition from a hen?[8|][8|] I have had this happen a couple times to me but come to find out it was a bird giving me competiton. If your sure it was another hunter I would be upset also.
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

roughrider123

Postby roughrider123 » May 4th, 2011, 2:08 am

I guess when you see 2 guys 30yds behind you calling its tough to mistake for turkeys.

roughrider out

retranger

Postby retranger » May 4th, 2011, 2:53 am

Don are these local boys? I would have a hard time not to retaliate with these fellows. [:@][>:] I guess I can understand your feelings. Last fall during our bow season for deer a fellow took my new pop up blind and game camera ($450 worth of equip). I am pretty sure who it was but can't prove it. Good luck this time out. [;)][;)]
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

roughrider123

Postby roughrider123 » May 4th, 2011, 4:44 am

I did not ask as they were oblivious to me sitting there quiet. I left as they pased by. I am sure they saw me leave. I hope to return tomorrow and finish the season.

roughrider out

Return to Pennsylvania