spooked gobbler

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
trkyhntr80

spooked gobbler

Postby trkyhntr80 » April 6th, 2011, 2:23 pm

So I walked a mile r so into the woods about 10 o'clock this morning and before I know a decent gobbler takes two steps and halls ass through the woods faster than I could get my gun off my shoulder.I figured I blew any chance of killin a bird right then turned around and walked all the way back out.....Should I have stayed ???

WillowRidgeCalls

RE: spooked gobbler

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 6th, 2011, 4:32 pm

Give that bird a chance to calm down, about a half hour, then circle around the area he ran off to and do a little soft calling from a different angle and see if he'll respond. If he didn't fly off or start putting and then tare off, he probably didn't see you until you seen him and he just boogied for new cover. I would have stayed a while and seen if I could of worked him, just like you would do when you hunt in the fall?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

trkyhntr80

Postby trkyhntr80 » April 6th, 2011, 4:46 pm

Thanks for the input Scott I had never been in that situation until today.I gotta tell ya that got me pretty worked up lol.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 6th, 2011, 5:01 pm

[:D] At least you know there is a good one there to work another day. [;)]
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » April 6th, 2011, 5:06 pm

It happens to all of us Scott gave you good info. calm down be patient the good thing is you know the bird is there.

Jon
Turkeybuster

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » April 7th, 2011, 1:12 am

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. He's one more gobbler than the none you saw on the mile walk in. Good advice so far, he doesn't know what spooked him, just that something did.

I've killed several gobblers right after eating lunch or taking a break or brief nap. Why? Because I was quietly sitting or relaxing and not marching around. And what about another gobbler? If the first one doesn't reappear, there may be another one in the vacinity.

In this modern world of power scouting, incredibly realistic decoys, 70 yard guns and aggressive hunting techniques, patience is the one necessary attribute that is most often overlooked.

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

Return to Strategies