Pitting in barrel

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
Big10Inch

Pitting in barrel

Postby Big10Inch » April 4th, 2011, 4:18 am

I did Clark's deep clean this weekend on two guns.

1) My Browning Auto 5 is about 15 years old and I have put 30-50 boxes through it and the bore looks great after the deep clean.

2) My girlfriend's Model 870™ Express® Shurshot™ Synthetic Turkey is two years old with only 30 shots through it. After cleaning it twice, there were two noticeable pits about four to five inches from the muzzle and 'machining' rings all along the bore.

Will this have a big negative effect on the pattern? Should I bring this to a gunsmith to fix it? If so, what will a gunsmith do to fix the inconsistencies?

Both guns have been cleaned, oiled and well maintained.

I tried to get out shooting yesterday, but there is still two feet of snow in the gravel pit and on the bush road where I go patterning. As a result, I cannot provide any patterning results yet. Our season opens on April 25, so I have a little time yet.

Peter

dpowers311

RE: Pitting in barrel

Postby dpowers311 » April 4th, 2011, 10:55 am

I watched a video from midwayusa that Larry used a rod with honing stones in the barrel to clean it up. Maybe that is how they get pitting out.

Dave

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » April 5th, 2011, 12:04 pm

Hey Peter,

There should not be pits in that barrel, nor should there be noticeable machining rings. Are you able to feel those pits and rings, maybe with a pick of some kind, or just see them?

Have you tried some additional Hoppe's with a brush in that area, from the muzzle, just to make sure it's not some surface "gunk"?

I've seen some really bad looking barrels throw great patterns, so it may not effect performance but it does effect value.

Since it's such a new gun, Remington would probably replace it.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Big10Inch

Postby Big10Inch » April 19th, 2011, 2:06 pm

Today, I spoke to the retailer that sold me the gun and he will send it off to Remington for their opinion... after the turkey season.

Return to Shooting