Patterning resutls..interesting

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
DeanoZ

Patterning resutls..interesting

Postby DeanoZ » April 3rd, 2011, 4:56 pm

Well my patterning for this up coming season is complete and I've attached the result.  I'll give credit where credit is do, as the attached spreadsheet format comes from bantamax, who posted his example in another thread.  I thought it very useful to analyze my results and get a complete picture.  I tried out 7 different loads along with 4 different chokes, mostly at 40 yards, but some I was able to do at 20 and 35 as well.
My initial thoughts:  Some real surprises..the loads I thought would perform best, actually did not live up to their hype or perform at all.  The Federal Strut Shok and Rem Nitros were a big disappointment, as was the Win Extended Range.  The Hevi-13 and Hevi Mag Blend did ok, thought it might do better, but the real surprise was the Win XX mag's which I thought were on par with the Hevi loads, but had a negligibly more evenly distributed pattern at 40 yards.
So I'm on the fence right now, but leaning towards the Win XX mag's.  All loads would have performed well at 20 yards, but I want to be comfortable out to 40.  Please feel free to chime in and give me your two cents worth.

DeanoZ

RE: Patterning resutls..interesting

Postby DeanoZ » April 3rd, 2011, 5:01 pm

I've also attached pics of the patterns themselves.  did not include all of them, just the ones I felt performed the best.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » April 3rd, 2011, 5:02 pm

A few more ...

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » April 3rd, 2011, 5:03 pm

Last two

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » April 3rd, 2011, 5:55 pm

Looks to me like your gun likes the Indian Creek .665 the best across all the brands of ammunition, and the Winchester XX in paticular.

Those patterns pictured with that combination at 35 and 40 yards are devastating.

Thanks for sharing, great chart and pics!
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

Big10Inch

Postby Big10Inch » April 4th, 2011, 3:14 am

Hey Deanoz, what length is your barrel? I have the 20 " with the shuregrip (express model).

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » April 4th, 2011, 4:04 am

Fanclub thanks..yes for sure it looks like it prefers the Ind Crk Chokes  in the .665 constriction and Win XX Mags.  Although, I get the sense that the Hevi and win Ext Rg should have performed better?  I've seen others through out numbers like 180's pellet counts at 40 yrds with the HD shot...but dead is dead and they will be just as dead with Win XX mag, lol. 

Big10, I'm shooting the Rem 870 Express Mag with the 28" barrel

Return to Shooting