Team #7...The Sunrise Assassins

The general page for the annual turkey hunting contest. Tons of fun even if you're not on a team.
Virginia Boy

RE: Team #7...The Sunrise Assassins

Postby Virginia Boy » April 3rd, 2011, 1:38 pm

Finally had time to get out to our best MI farm early Saturday AM. We went to one spot we call "the logs" b/c we've built up some downed logs from the woods over the years and made a nice little blind at the field edge. We got there in plenty of dark and just sat down to listen. Well, it didn't take but about 20 minutes before we we just about blown away by the first thunder gobble of the morning - right behind us in the woods not less than 75 yds away! Man, what a first sound of the year! A little later, we were hearing two more roost gobbles from the same area, about 3 other gobbles farther into the woods, and 3-4 gobbles coming from 200 yds across the field we were on in the opposite woods. I really couldn't believe how vocal they were Sat am! We ended up only actually seeing one in the field we were on, but when we moved to a different place in the area across the field toward the opposite woods, we spotted 3 strutters on the neighbors hay field. They were absolutely beautiful. We repaired and/or built several blinds - wood, sticks, brush, etc. - at different spots around the farm. All in all - a really great first scouting trip! It really gets the blood pumping!
"There is nothing more logical than shooting your own dinner with a bow and arrow." Ted Nugent
"That turkey's got a beard bigger than Osama!" Michael Waddell
TEAM #7 - THE SUNRISE ASSASSINS

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » April 4th, 2011, 2:12 am

Here we go again!  ...Leaving tomorrow morning at 3:00 for Oklahoma!   Good luck to everybody while I'm gone!   I have high expectations for this particular hunt.    We stumbled onto this area last year.  Just by chance, met some really nice folks in a little cafe.   We were dressed in camo...and they asked us what we were doing.  ...Told them we were turkey hunters and were looking for new places to hunt. 

Before we knew it, we had a couple of spots lined up on properties that never get turkey hunted!  We could only hunt the places one evening and one morning because of our schedule, but we got a hint of what the potential is on those places.  ....Saw some monster gobblers!

This year, the folks we met have added several more properties for us to hunt,....all supposedly with lots of birds and no hunting pressure at all!   We are pumped!!

....I will report back next week on how things went.....and expect to hear great tales of other successes by all of you!

Jim

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » April 4th, 2011, 2:27 am

Good luck to you, G-man. I hope these new places are true honey holes for ya.

kdsberman

Postby kdsberman » April 4th, 2011, 2:03 pm

Go smoke em' Gobblerman!!
Mossberg 835
Mueller MX1 Red Dot
Primos Jellyhead Choke
Nitro H517's 4x5x7 Hevi-Shot

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 4th, 2011, 3:48 pm

Good Luck Jim, sound like a gold mine for sure.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » April 4th, 2011, 4:53 pm

Sounds like a great time awaits you. Have fun & good luck.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » April 8th, 2011, 8:47 am

allright girls and boys.....time to %!&t or get off the pot.....grab your raingear and lets go turkey hunting.....mother nature is a " female dog " if you know what i'm sayin, but we're gonna take a stab at it, hopin one will decide to dry off, let's say, 28 yds from the end of my barrel.....I LOVE IT !!!!   squish, squish, squish.....
Unofficial mascot for Team 2
Springtime Assassins

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » April 9th, 2011, 1:22 pm

not today boys, saw him twice, couldn't coax him away from his girlfriend.....monday is another day
Unofficial mascot for Team 2
Springtime Assassins

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » April 14th, 2011, 2:36 am

Just checking in between hunts....haven't had much time to post....or even look here recently.  I will be leaving again today for the start of our NM season tomorrow.  Good luck to everybody on the T&TH site.  Hope everybody fills their tags!

Jim

sftoothman

Postby sftoothman » April 14th, 2011, 10:39 am

Luck to you also. Relocated to NM recently from PA. Have bagged many Easterns, now going to try to get me a NM gobbler. First time out in a couple years over the upcoming weekend.

PreviousNext

Return to Base Camp