Hey Guys...

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
xcal1ber

Hey Guys...

Postby xcal1ber » April 2nd, 2011, 3:06 am

My name is Brian Crawford, im from southeast Kentucky. Im new to the forum but im not really new to turkey hunting. Season starts here in 2 weeks and im fired up to go. I have a 12 guage already patterend out and ready to go, but this year my dad is wanting to go and he dont have a good turkey gun and with money being tight around my house we cant get one this season..but we do have a New England single shot 20guage, i know everyone has seen one, it has a 26inch barrel but its a smooth barrel with no threads to put a choke in. 

xcal1ber

RE: Hey Guys...

Postby xcal1ber » April 2nd, 2011, 3:07 am

So my question is..What type of shotgun shells would you recommend for this gun?

Ruttinbull

Postby Ruttinbull » April 2nd, 2011, 4:59 am

We have all been in the position where money is tight.... so no worries.

First question is that you did not mention what choke the barrel has... modified or full?

I would say take the gun out and pattern it at 10, 20, 25 and 30 yards to see what it can do. Likely you will find on a full choke that 25 yards is going to be pushing it for an acceptable pattern and that you will want to keep the shot at 20 or less. Each shotgun is different so you have to shoot it.

As far a shells... I would start with a hevi-13 in 6's. I would consider 7's if they are legal in your state (they are not in mine). The smaller shot size would help fill in the pattern of the lesser choked gun (in theory anyways). Again you gotta shoot it to find out.

The other option is to trade the "good" gun back and forth through the season. I guess I am assuming you would be hunting together and that one person would be the designated shooter.

Bottom line is go have fun with your dad.

xcal1ber

Postby xcal1ber » April 2nd, 2011, 5:35 am

Yea ruttinbull it says on the barrel "mod." (which im sure means modified) and it holds 3 inch shells, and i was thinking about getting the heavy shots, so ill probably try the 6's...and your right most of the season me and dad will be hunting together and stuff but opening weekend we wont. So Im going to get the number 6's and try them and ill let you know the results

indiana slick

Postby indiana slick » April 2nd, 2011, 5:52 am

Great answer Ruttinbull. The single shot may patteren better than your turkey gun, they all pattern different[even the same guns]. If you trade gun back and forth you will have a ball, 1 man calls the other shoots, I do this with my Son[grown man] because we want to not have to. Wouldn't trade memories with him in field for all the turkeys in Texas. Have a great season and enjoy Dad.

xcal1ber

Postby xcal1ber » April 2nd, 2011, 6:18 am

Thats very true Slick... so pretty much im going to buy me some heavy shot 3in 6's..and im going to pattern the gun to see how it does...my dad is gonna use it opening weekend and when he goes by himself when im working...and other than that we will probably just hunt together and trade the better gun out,what happens,happens. Sometimes it aint about the kill,sometimes its about getting out there with a family member or friend and chasing after them love-struck hard headed gobblers!

retranger

Postby retranger » April 2nd, 2011, 6:32 am

Sometimes it aint about the kill,sometimes its about getting out there with a family member or friend and chasing after them love-struck hard headed gobblers!

Now thats a good attitude!!!!![:)][:D] You fellows enjoy
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

Ruttinbull

Postby Ruttinbull » April 2nd, 2011, 6:57 am

I started a turkey clinic for kids years ago. At one station we shot several guns with different chokes and then displayed the pattern boards. Even the adult hunters were astonished at what the results were. It was a great demo for everyone.

Another thing I do for the younger guys is to take a decent sized piece of cardboard and then I draw three jakes on it. I have one in the center, and one on either side. One bird is closer to the middle bird than the other. I then set the board up at 25 yards and have the kid shoot at the middle bird. They get two things out of this demo; One they get to see their pattern at 25, two they get to see that even at close range they need to be careful (as often they "kill" two or all three of the paper jakes)."

I just came in from shooting my old turkey gun and my new one. They both have good chokes in them. I was suprised that my old gun appears to have outshot the new gun at 40 yards. In just moments I will be counting holes....

Have fun with your dad.

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » April 2nd, 2011, 4:50 pm

ORIGINAL: xcal1ber

My name is Brian Crawford, im from southeast Kentucky. Im new to the forum but im not really new to turkey hunting. Season starts here in 2 weeks and im fired up to go. I have a 12 guage already patterend out and ready to go, but this year my dad is wanting to go and he dont have a good turkey gun and with money being tight around my house we cant get one this season..but we do have a New England single shot 20guage, i know everyone has seen one, it has a 26inch barrel but its a smooth barrel with no threads to put a choke in. 

Hey Brian,

You've already had great advice. I'd just add that before you pattern that gun, I'd "deep clean" the bore. It will really help. You can find the article, "Cleaning a Shotgun Barrel"  at http://www.allaboutshooting.com

I have one of the old H&R single shot 20s with a full choke, same as the NEF gun, that I've had for years. The bore is pretty good, smooth and shoots to point of aim. I used it for years as a squirrel gun.

I believe that with a good clean barrel and some Hevi-13 shells with 1.25 oz. of #6 shot, it could be a turkey gun out to 25 or 30 yards. As has already been said, you'll need to spend some time with it at the range of course.

All my best this spring.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

xcal1ber

Postby xcal1ber » April 2nd, 2011, 5:31 pm

Thanks Clark for the advise ill give it a good cleaning and have the inside of that barrel nice and shiny. Also i know if i got some good turkey loads like the heavy shots that i could kill a turkey at 25-30 yds, ive seen what it has done to squirrels seeing as thats what ive used it for all my life like you. Another plus is that because where i live, my turkey habitat is mountains, very little fields at all! so my best shot on a turkey will pretty much be 25-30 yds..so thatnks for the advise everyone and if anyone else has 2 cents to put in ill be more than happy to listen. good luck and good hunting!
There's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.
-Fred Bear

Return to Shooting