Team #4...Turkeys on a Plane

The general page for the annual turkey hunting contest. Tons of fun even if you're not on a team.
TeocTom

RE: Team #4...Turkeys on a Plane

Postby TeocTom » March 17th, 2011, 4:27 pm

Reports from most hunters this past weekend was that things were very slow, and opening weekend was not as hot as expected. So, I don't feel too bad.
I will be going next Friday and Saturday. Tommorow would be great but that pesky job thing!
Eric
Team 4
Turkeys on a Plane

wayne904

Postby wayne904 » March 21st, 2011, 7:07 am

Season opener for me this weekend!!![:)]

TeocTom

Postby TeocTom » March 21st, 2011, 2:32 pm

I will be heading out there again this weekend! Wayne, let's give 'em what for!
Eric
Team 4
Turkeys on a Plane

wayne904

Postby wayne904 » March 22nd, 2011, 6:40 am

i'm gonna give it my best!

TeocTom

Postby TeocTom » March 24th, 2011, 4:00 pm

Bad news guys, I am not going to be able to get out there this weekend.
Between work and the weather I am not going to be able to make it.
I still have plenty of time. Weather permitting I am going to be out there next weekend.
Eric
Team 4
Turkeys on a Plane

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » March 31st, 2011, 12:36 pm

Team #4....Please note that TRapper, from the last-call sign-up list, has been added to your team.  Make sure to contact and welcome him aboard!

dewey

Postby dewey » March 31st, 2011, 4:03 pm

I will send a PM to TRapper to welcome him to our team and let him know where we are. We will also need a new logo.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

TRapper

Postby TRapper » March 31st, 2011, 4:35 pm

hey guys,  it is awesome to be able to be on a team,  lookin forward to gettin to hunting turkeys back here in Iowa,  been livin in missouri last 8 years and called in some nice toms there,  got a couple guys their first,  have 2 guys this year that haven't shot turkeys that i am lookin to call in for them.  I hunt in south central iowa close to mo border.  My name by the way is Joshua Jones  My wife and I work in a travel club and also i do pest/wildlife control.   We have 2 boys,  ages 6 and 3 and my blind is up so they can climb in it with me a couple times to get the feel of turkey hunting. 
Joshua "TRapper" Jones
Dream Sportsman Trips at Dream Prices
http://trapperstravel.roviadreams.com/d ... /tripslist

TeocTom

Postby TeocTom » April 3rd, 2011, 9:24 am

Team,
Carried a friend of mine hunting this Saturday. He has never heard a gobbler and wanted to go hunting this year. I took him yesterday morning and the turkeys delivered. At first light we had a gobbler gobbling roughly 3 hundred yards from us. While moving so that we could set up I heard a hen yelp about 3 notes, and from that moment the gobbler headed in the opposite direction. I didn't like where we were and judging by the distance of the last gobble I felt that we had enough time and space to move in a little closer to a bottom that I felt would put us in a better position to call him into. As we moved he was gobbling. We sat down and I started calling again and it sounded like he was getting closer. Again, he then turned and started drifting away and finally moved on. I felt good that we heard some gobbling and that my friend got to hear it. I decided that since more than likely he was with hens it would be best since we haven't been busted yet that we go back to the house, get some breakfast, and come back a little after 12.

Now, this is where it gets ugly. I had a feeling that the gobbler and any hens that was with him made their way to a group of food plots on some land that adjouns where I hunt. We walked down a road that would allow me to hear if they were there. After yelping and listening for about 20 minutes we never heard a gobble. So, I decided to go back to the very spot we went to that morning and work from there. The land I hunt is bi-sected by a main gravel road. I use that road to access different entrance points to the woods that is on the LH side of the road. About 85 yards from the point where we were trying to locate the gobblers we stepped off the gravel road, into the woods to head to the spot we were at that morning. 10 yards off the road I look up and guess what I am face to face with, yep, the gobbler. Before my mind could even process what was in front of me he was taking off through the woods. All that I had time to do was say "turkey!". What is aggrevating is that the whole time that we were trying to locate he never made a peep. He let us get within 10 yards of him before ever taking off. Putt Putt Putt and he was gone. All I could do at that moment was fall on my knees and aks "How did that just happen". I was sick, still am.

From this day forward, this gobbler will be called Dr. Evil.

Guys, where did I go wrong? I had the timing and the location of everything down to perfection.
You guys need to help cheer me on. This gobbler is the man! Massive.
My friend couldn't believe it, and he is now addicted.
Eric
Team 4
Turkeys on a Plane

wayne904

Postby wayne904 » April 5th, 2011, 2:22 am

Welcome TRapper

PreviousNext

Return to Base Camp