Team #5....Limbhangers

The general page for the annual turkey hunting contest. Tons of fun even if you're not on a team.
roycefromrc

Ive go a question

Postby roycefromrc » March 29th, 2011, 5:43 am

Guys, Im new to turkey hunting so bear with me. My system of scouting is so far from what I read about, I wonder if Im doing it right.What i do is. Pick out a piece of land on my map of the forrest land that has a creek running through it somewhere(they gotta drink) right? I then cross refference with google earth to find how to get close the the north side of the creek. i then pick out about a 3-4 mile walk along the north side and glass down the slope to catch them feeding in the sun. I then plan to follow them back to there roost trees. With the grace of God and a little luck,Ill get out the next day and pattern them to wherever they go first thing in the AM. I hope to find out where their strutting. Then on opener,Ill show up with a couple lovely ladies about 15-20 yrds from the edge of the tree line,how do I know where to set up me decs?.Have two people in the brush 20 ydas from the decs.Then another calling with cuts,purrs and yelps, about 15-20 yds. behind them. hopesully call in a couple merriam tom close enough to shoot.
My other plan is to get out before sun up to the same ridge and crow or owl call them. To see where there roosting. Then try to ambush them right when they come off the roost.Do they have a specific spot they are heading? Can I determin where their gonna land ,and just wait there? Any added adice would be great. thanks.
Royce
caution: I make bad decisions.

eggshell

RE: Ive go a question

Postby eggshell » March 29th, 2011, 9:31 am

Think less, hunt more.  You way complicating this.  Early, like two weeks before season, just listen in the general area to get an idea of active gobblers. Then a few days before season try and get a pattern on them, but do  not call to them. See what they do on their own. as far as setting up in the fly down area, you'll have to be there early or you'll spook them. To try and set up an ambush like that is a matter of personal preference in hunting style, so I can't speak to it. Don't worry so much about details, that will cause more mistake....like I said hunt  more think less.

roycefromrc

Postby roycefromrc » March 29th, 2011, 9:40 am

I know your right.i just have so damn much time to think before season starts.i sure dont put this much thought into hunting other species. Having financial trouble( second wedding in as many years, dont have kids if you want money),here i thought they got cheeper when they moved out. so not much gas money till April 1st. ill get out everyday till opener then. thanks eggshell.And i wont call till opener. I can and will hunt everyday of season,its the 11day wait that has me thinkin too much.Ill try man .

mark hay

Postby mark hay » March 29th, 2011, 12:11 pm

I agree with eggshell about hunting more and thinking less . Not that you or I should walk around the country like we have no brain between our ears , but rather let your eyes and especially your ears do the work .

You mentioned putting out your dekes and then positioning two hunters about 20 yards and then the third hunter further back to do the calling . Are any of these hunters experienced turkey hunters ? No disrespect intended here . It's just that the turkeys generally have the upper hand in this sport . Upper hand being keen eyesight and phenominal hearing and the ability to circle your set up and never let you know he's done it .
 Hunting with partners is a lot of fun . It can also have you eating tag soup at the close of an already too short hunting season . It is hard to keep still and unseen when I'm hunting alone . And from experience , multiply myown little fidgets and twitches and movements by how many hunters are in my set up. Any bird might forgive one twitch by that tree , but not another by that . He'll be gone .
  Something to consider .

roycefromrc

Postby roycefromrc » March 30th, 2011, 8:04 am

Thanks Mark.The answer is no to any of us ever hunting turkey before.Dont get me wrong, Ive hunted about everything my state has to offer, everything but elk,big horns and mountain goat(very limited number of tag,and years waiting for it), and turkey. Any advice on how to increas our odds with the decs. The good news is that while the other two can only hunt the weekends,I can hunt everyday.so Im not too conscerned if i get skunked opening weekend. I guess Im trying to use my spot and stock methods for turkeys too. Its just such big country here that a man can see way further than you can hear.Out on the plains muley hunting youve practicalloy got to shoo the turkey away.
Royce

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » March 31st, 2011, 12:26 pm

Team #5....Please note that turkeytracks, from the last-call sign-up list, has been added to your team.  Make sure to contact and welcome him aboard!

SouthernStrut

Postby SouthernStrut » April 6th, 2011, 12:18 pm

Guys I hate that I'm having a down year.  I usually have about 3 down by now.  I've been working a horrible job with long hours since December that has brought nothing but stress and a very unhealthy lifestyle with no sleep.  I had a successful interview with a great company in west Georgia last week and it's looking like wifey and myself will be moving in the coming weeks.  May not get to do much more hunting this season with all this going on, but I sure will be glad if I get the job and get the heck outta here.  I've been to the woods a handful of times and heard a few faint gobbles.  Had a couple gobbling pretty good last weekend but just over a drop off outta sight.  They saw no hens and got outta there before I ever saw em.  Bad setup I guess, but hey it happens.  I'm not on my game, got all this other stuff going on.  Not going this weekend but hope to get back out maybe the next Friday or Saturday.  Good luck to the rest of the team, go get em guys!
Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person. - Fred Bear

roycefromrc

Postby roycefromrc » April 8th, 2011, 5:36 am

Well tomorrows the big day here.Sounds rainy in the afternoon,but the AM looks great.Been in the woods almost everyday this week.i have three flocks of yard fed lunkers scoped out.Hopefully my next post will have pics.

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » April 8th, 2011, 11:03 am

Good luck tomorrow royce. I'll be out tomorrow morning as well but I have to leave the gun at the house. Season opens up in KY next Saturday and I'm going to get out and listen for a few gobbles at sunrise. The landowner told me this week that he saw a total of 50 birds throughout the week and saw a bunch of strutters. I can't wait to get out next Saturday and get a crack at one of them. Again, good luck and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
Brian

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » April 8th, 2011, 4:07 pm

Good luck Royce, I hope you bag a big one. Unfortunately I got to work this weekend so no woods time for me. Although I do have one tied to string for next weekend, unless he unties himself.[:D] A friend of mine hooked me up today with a 250 acre farm that is suppost to turkeys running around all over it. I can't wait till Monday to check it out.

PreviousNext

Return to Base Camp