three seasons no gobbles!!

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
trkyhntr80

three seasons no gobbles!!

Postby trkyhntr80 » March 27th, 2011, 12:32 pm

What is a man to do who has hunted the same WMA for three years now and I have never heard a gobble there?I know the turkeys are there based on harvest information released by the state of Alabama.I have no other places to hunt without driving for three hours to get there.What would an experienced hunter do with this situation?

1Morgan

RE: three seasons no gobbles!!

Postby 1Morgan » March 27th, 2011, 12:45 pm

I hate to be simple but...hunt where the turkeys are. Scout for sign and hunt that area.
South Carolina Low Country

trkyhntr80

Postby trkyhntr80 » March 27th, 2011, 3:07 pm

lol well thats what i think i have been doing,but the sign i am finding is few and far between,which im not very experienced in turkey hunting this is my third season to hunt and ive never been with anyone else who has turkey hunted before.

retranger

Postby retranger » March 27th, 2011, 3:50 pm

If you don't have any other WMA land I would start looking for some private land with birds on them.
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

trkyhntr80

Postby trkyhntr80 » March 27th, 2011, 4:27 pm

Well I have a hunting club option but I will have to fork over 1000 bucks a year but it is 10000 acres with over 100 food plots I guess it would be worth it if I would deer hunt too but damn its cold during deer season lol.

MAKEemQUIVER

Postby MAKEemQUIVER » March 27th, 2011, 6:31 pm

Im sure you have tried but keep trying new spots and try hiking in farther that the other guys. Always try to get out before season opens and listen from different spot to try to locate birds. Dont give up but you are missing out on the best part of turkey hunting if you arent hearing any gobbles.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » March 28th, 2011, 2:36 am

ORIGINAL: MAKEemQUIVER

.... Always try to get out before season opens and listen from different spot to try to locate birds....

That's right. You need to do lots of pre-season scouting. If you scout that WMA heavily pre-season and don't hear any gobbles, then you should hunt somewhere else. Make up a piece of paper with your picture and a little biographical information about you. Add some references. Then go hunting for permission to hunt private property. Don't be afraid to ask, even if the land is posted. Sometimes people post land only because they want to make sure people ask permission.

Good luck.

Steve
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

pinetag

Postby pinetag » March 28th, 2011, 4:31 am

You might try putting a game cam deep in woods and see what you come up with.  Also I know its steep but trying putting price on your time per hour and see what you come up with.  $1000/$15 or $20 an hour goes pretty quick.

trkyhntr80

Postby trkyhntr80 » March 28th, 2011, 5:18 am

It is a lot of money but I have been to that hunting club many times as a guest of my friend there are turkeys every where out there.Also lots of roads where the sign is easier to find. It is an old strip mine property and basically anything you wanna hunt from this area is there to hunt pigs ,ducks,others ,boats u name it lives in those woods lol .I think it would be well worth it my wife seems to think otherwise.I need to get her into turkey hunting hunting there really is nothing like the spring woods at sunrise.Oh well maybe next year ill just have to keep hunting where I am for this seasoned maybe sweet talk her before next turkey season.

trkyhntr80

Postby trkyhntr80 » March 28th, 2011, 5:20 am

Sorry about the typos I'm no journalist.lol

Next

Return to Strategies