WEATHER AND TURKEY REPORTS

grizzly

WEATHER AND TURKEY REPORTS

Postby grizzly » March 27th, 2011, 1:54 am

i would like to use this thread for for telling what going on in your area of the state.
tioga county snow is pretty much gone but it's been chilly down in the teens at night in the high 20s during the days
turkeys have been very vocal first thing morning lots of struting has been seen

retranger

RE: WEATHER AND TURKEY REPORTS

Postby retranger » March 27th, 2011, 2:48 am

It's staying cold up here. In the high 20's yesterday but very cold North wind[&:] Not going to be much better till the end of next week. Still much snow on ground here, but some warm days it would disappear quite fast as we didn't really have any thaws during the winter.
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

Fargohunt

Postby Fargohunt » March 27th, 2011, 4:22 pm

Western NY is still real cold gonna be close to single digits tonight. No snow, but 2 scouting trips hasn't turned up any sounds, but good sign. I am hopeful April will warm up...it better and with it some roosting and solid gobbling!

retranger

Postby retranger » March 28th, 2011, 2:46 am

Still cold up here!!![&:] Can't get out to do any looking still lots of snow in the woods. Would have to go on snowshoes and I surmise that the birds are still feeding around the back yard bird feeders.
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

fightingspurs

Postby fightingspurs » March 28th, 2011, 3:19 pm

Central New York Ostego/Delaware countys still really cold 20s and lower 30s in the day and teens at night. Higher areas have alot of snow and fields are thawed. Still seeing chasing and fighting and some strutting but this has slowed down do to the weather and the past weeks artic blast. It should be warming up by the end of the week they say the high 40s low 50s and we should see more turkey action in the woods not just the fields. seeing lots of 2-1/2 - 3 year old toms in groups of anywere from 4 to as much as 15 it should be a great season....
Fightingspurs game calls - GOT BLOOD!!!

grizzly

Postby grizzly » March 29th, 2011, 12:32 pm

still chilly got up to almost 40 still in the low teens at night
turkeys have been active and have been seeing a good number now they are hitting the feilds

NYSuperSportsman

Postby NYSuperSportsman » March 29th, 2011, 3:59 pm

Still very cold here too! But I have some great trail cam pics of a group of 5-7 longbeards in my property and I also found the roost site as well!! Heck I even heard them gobbling on the 20th of March! I am excited for the season to start! I am headed to VA to hunt gobblers in about 2 weeks and then I will be home to hunt NY and PA gobblers as well! I can't wait!

longspur

Postby longspur » March 30th, 2011, 5:58 am

Good luck NYSS! In years past I have heard birds gobbling on the roost as early as March 4th. It was actually some of the most gobbling I have heard on the roost. I have yet to get out and scout. I will most likely be out tomorrow. The evening shift really hurts early morning scouting, as it is hard to get up when you get home around 12:15. I just need to motivate myself. I'm sure the first gobbling bird will get me pumped for further scouting, and for the season. Still cold here, but the sun has been out, and we are in a warming trend. Good luck to those heading out for trout season as well!
-Kevin

grizzly

Postby grizzly » April 2nd, 2011, 7:57 am

well it's starting to warm up 28 more days to go . went up state today with my wife Jess to a dog show lefted early and i saw a good number of birds and lots of strutters season looking great[:)] wayne

longspur

Postby longspur » April 2nd, 2011, 10:58 am

Well, today I witnessed my first strutter of the spring season. He had about 12 hens with him. This already looks bad. I am hoping with this many hens, other gobblers from the area(if there is any) will filter in. In another area, I found loads of sign. I only did brief scouting, but will do some more thorough scouting in the days to come. Hopefully this wonderful spring weather will continue. -Kevin

Next

Return to New York