Team #5....Limbhangers

The general page for the annual turkey hunting contest. Tons of fun even if you're not on a team.
SpitnDrum

RE: Team #5....Limbhangers

Postby SpitnDrum » March 23rd, 2011, 6:37 am

Checking in gentlemen......Windy and starting to rain on this side of Ky this morning.
Kentucky Briar Jumper

A Kitchen-Dog is never a good rabbit HUNTER!

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » March 23rd, 2011, 7:03 am

Welcome SpitnDrum, glad to have you be apart of the Limbhanger's crew[;)] The weather has been unseasonably warm the past week or two but it looks like it's going to cool off a little bit for the next several days. Regardless, I'll be out this Saturday morning listening for gobbles. Only three more weeks from Saturday and I'll finally get a crack at a couple of big boys!!
Brian

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » March 23rd, 2011, 2:32 pm

I was driving into Bardstown (Nelson Co. central KY) about an hour and a half before roost time this afternoon and looked to my right in a field about 150 yards off the road and saw about 10 turkeys or so with two big boys putting a show on for their hens. I live 30 minutes away from that area so it's not any land I can hunt or anything, but it's always exciting to see birds, especially strutters. Just a little over 3 more weeks and us KY boys are finally going to get our chance to crack a few limbhangers[:D][:D][:D]
Brian

MAKEemQUIVER

Postby MAKEemQUIVER » March 23rd, 2011, 2:41 pm

I also seen one out in a field strutting today before the storm got here this evening. Havent been out to listen this year but if the weather isnt to bad I will be heading out Saturday morning. Did get a pic of a nice bird on my trailcam last week though.

Welcome aboard SpitnDrum!!

roycefromrc

Postby roycefromrc » March 24th, 2011, 4:56 am

Hey s&d,glad to have you on the winning team.Another Ky boy on here.Sounds like im the only merriam hunter.I hear we have Rios and Easterns down in the south east part of the state.might have to try to set something up down there for this fall.Went out scouting yesterday but couldnt find any birds.hope they show up soon.
Royce
caution: I make bad decisions.

SpitnDrum

Postby SpitnDrum » March 24th, 2011, 8:23 am

Alright gentlemen my season will consist of a short trip to Tn starting april 6.My group ussually try to swing down that way to get our season started early on good public ground down that way.This year we are hunting a place down yonder I am not familar with at all.Matter of fact I'm not shure what the WMA is even called yet.I've had some good success in Tn the past few year so I'm looking for a good turn out and I reckon this place is packed with birds.I've been scouting pretty hard here at home already and have found a few groups of paternable Toms to chase the opening week of Kys season.So all in all I look to at least Take two Toms this spring but I'll have 6 tags to work on counting the Tn tags.
Kentucky Briar Jumper

MAKEemQUIVER

Postby MAKEemQUIVER » March 25th, 2011, 2:38 pm

SpitnDrum if you dont mind me asking where in Tenn. have you guys been hunting? My cousin and I thought about trying the Big South Fork forest but werent able to get plans lined up to go. Good luck when you guys go hope you get to fill a couple of those tags.

SpitnDrum

Postby SpitnDrum » March 25th, 2011, 5:08 pm

We have been hunting the Catoosa and have hunted the Cordell Hull WMA.I like the catoosa wma pretty well.Plenty of turkeys,but there is some preasure on them.Still very huntable birds.I'm still not 100% shure where we are going this year.
Kentucky Briar Jumper

SouthernStrut

Postby SouthernStrut » March 27th, 2011, 6:19 am

Nothing again this weekend team.  I only heard one gobble in two days of hunting and it was so far off I barely heard it.  I walked the roads again like I did last weekend, stopping and sitting for 30 minutes at a time and listening for walking and scratching, doin a little bit of calling to try and get a response, but nothing.  Went down to the cabin and sat on the porch to watch the fields for two hours, and not a single bird in sight.  I normally have at least 2 birds down by this time in the season, but I'm hoping it's just a slower start this year and they'll get fired up soon.  But since there hasn't been much action at my place so far I'm planning to give the Choccolocco mgt area a shot with my buddy sometime soon.  Good luck to everybody else starting up in the coming weeks
Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person. - Fred Bear

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » March 27th, 2011, 7:09 am

Sorry to hear that SS, but it sounds to me like the birds are just getting a little later start this season. I believe they'll fire up here pretty quick for you. The landowner of where I hunt told me he saw a flock of 20 or better on Tuesday and Friday of this week feeding around in the alfalfa for a while. He said he saw at least 3 big strutters putting on a show and I think this weekend I might be taking a friends kid out for the youth season. We are now under 3 weeks until opener here in KY and I get more anxious with every day! Good luck hunting!
Brian

PreviousNext

Return to Base Camp