Crossbow for Turkeys?

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
DonMcJr

Crossbow for Turkeys?

Postby DonMcJr » March 26th, 2011, 4:02 am

I just bought a crossbow for deer hunting and its legal to use one in Michigan for Turkeys. Anyone use one and what kind of broadhead/tips do you use?

arrowsonly

RE: Crossbow for Turkeys?

Postby arrowsonly » March 26th, 2011, 4:36 am

Check with your MI DNR, but I would think that they are legal for any type of legal bowhunting. What about the archery dealer you bought the bow from ? Let me know I might need to switch froma conventional bow also...

This last snow storm finally did me in 12 inches of concrete snow & 10 driveways to clean. I pulled something in my lower rib cage, feels like someone shot me with a dull broadhead. I can't even bring myself to try to draw my bow when snezzing or coughing is painful ! SOB 21 days till my MN tag.

Find a small 2/3 blade fixed head that shoots best thru your bow and use it for everything. Is that bow over 300 fps ?
Head shots may be in order?
look em' in the eye before you give em' the shaft...
be a man hunt public land...

eggshell

Postby eggshell » March 26th, 2011, 5:45 am

I have used a crossbow for turkeys, they work well. We use mechanical three bladed broadheads at 1.75" spread.  Shot placement is crucial though, my buddy lost three birds over the last 5 years. If they are close and you can pull it off, head shots leave no doubt. We have scopes on the crossbows.  I like shooting down into the back between the wings or right into the wing joint or just behind. I know a guy who shoots the legs and he swears they go nowhere, but I can't envision that as a good shot.

arrowsonly...you may be hurting, but believe me it is not like getting shot with a broadhead. I have been shot with a broadhead and it was a horrible experience, I nearly died. That is also the last time I hunted turkeys with a crossbow. It was an accidental firing, but my buddy shot me when we were setting up on some birds. Make sure you have a working safety, his failed.

retranger

Postby retranger » March 26th, 2011, 6:06 am

From talking to other bow hunters and reading articles the head shot and leg shot are the ones to take. The head shot is not for me,,,the leg shot ,,,,, you shoot for the area where the leg joins the body and that will probably take part of that wing at the same time. Apparently a turkey needs his legs to get into flight and it also will get the vitals.. I have not tried a bow yet but would like to
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

beagler

Postby beagler » March 26th, 2011, 8:36 am

beagler

Postby beagler » March 26th, 2011, 8:41 am

Managed this one last season shooting my Excalibur Equinox and a 100gr Slick Trick broadhead.

DonMcJr

Postby DonMcJr » March 26th, 2011, 12:43 pm

For deer I'm using Rage and from what I've seen from my hunting buddies use of them they rip a big hole and I'm thinking it would ruin a lot of meat on a turkey. I know crossbows are legal for turkeys in Michigan. I looked it up and only a bow and crossbow can be used from an elevated blind and I wanna hunt from my tower blind overlooking my food plot...

Nice bird beagle!

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » March 27th, 2011, 8:52 am

I just started hunting with a crossbow for deer last year and it really does a number on them. It is a Parker Hurricane with a 175 pound draw & I shoot CrossPro 100 grain broadheads. I intend to try to nail a gobbler with it, but I'll be using my Benelli to start the season. I have two places to hunt that don't allow firearms, though neither has a lot of turkeys.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

xcal1ber

Postby xcal1ber » April 2nd, 2011, 10:50 am

From my personal experience man in broadheads, i would go with a muzzy 100 grain 3 blade..They slice through a deer like warm butter and bury in the ground about 6 inches on the other side, also they fly like a field tip so you can practice with the same pin as you would hunt with without having to set the pin lower for a heavy broadhead
There's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.
-Fred Bear

Return to Shooting