Cost video or chapter?

Do you create your own turkey calls? This is the place for you. Share techniques, offer tips and post photos of your creations.
Ruttinbull

Cost video or chapter?

Postby Ruttinbull » March 24th, 2011, 5:36 am

Hello Fellers,

I have been foolin with making turkey calls for a few years now, mostly pot calls. Last year I tried my hand at a box call made out of cherry that I had years earlier cut from the front yard. It turned out ok and I am fairly certain I can call a turkey with it.... but now I got the call makin bug and want to try to make something more refined.

I am looking into buying either the Neil Cost video or the individual chapter on building box calls. Obviously the chapter is cheaper (20). I'd like to hear from those of you that have one or both... can a guy figure this out from just the chapter and with trial and error or should one just buy the video (dvd)?

I am hoping to make my next call from old some juniper posts. Juniper is related to cedar and I am guessing it should be similar in sound.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

BluMtnGobbler

RE: Cost video or chapter?

Postby BluMtnGobbler » March 24th, 2011, 12:09 pm

Ruttin bull, I have the chapter of Neil Cost. Its pretty good. You may have to read it a couple of times, but it helped me. What type are you looking to make? glued or hewned ones? I just got the contact info for the Neil Cost video. I might get it. Also I believe there was an old post from Frozen Crow that shows youhow to make them. I will have to look for it and will post.

BluMtnGobbler

Postby BluMtnGobbler » March 24th, 2011, 12:16 pm

RuttinBull, I apologize the post was on custom calls. I will try to post link.http://www.customcalls.com/cgi-bin/yabb ... 1234034610. See if this works. Its pretty good. hope this helps

Ruttinbull

Postby Ruttinbull » March 24th, 2011, 2:23 pm

I saw the frozen crow post and it is very good. I used it quite a bit as a reference. I believe he did leave out a little for fear of copyright infringements, etc. If Frozen Crow happens upon this post... thanks a ton for what you have done in passing on your info.

Could you make a decent call by referencing the Cost chapter and the Frozen Crow post?

I am headed out to the ranch to "shop" for the perfect post to make my calls out of. I just hope I can find one that is still solid and not weathered and checked beyond use.

It would be so much easier to just buy the wood... but that aint the point is it?
It would be so much easier to just buy a beautifully made call... but that aint the point either, is it?

Wishing you all many memories in the field this season!

BluMtnGobbler

Postby BluMtnGobbler » March 24th, 2011, 2:33 pm

With some practice I believe you can use those two and make a good call. As far as wood, I buy some and I get some from a friend who gets scraps from a local guitar company.

Ruttinbull

Postby Ruttinbull » March 24th, 2011, 5:17 pm

I went out and found a suitable fence post. The post has been in place as long as I have been alive (42) and likely actually twice that. It was weather checked and it took some creative trimming to bring it to about the right size to start. The post is Western Juniper which is a relative of the cedars. It is going to be tough not to start foolin with it before I get the chapter in the mail.

Update! I ordered the chapter this morning. Snowing like crazy here and its time to go to work. Aaargh.

Return to Call Makers