Contest Rules

The general page for the annual turkey hunting contest. Tons of fun even if you're not on a team.
DeanoZ

RE: Contest Rules

Postby DeanoZ » February 28th, 2011, 4:15 pm

Awesome, thanks for doing this Jim and Dewey!

eggshell

Postby eggshell » February 28th, 2011, 4:55 pm

1Morgan, This is my 40th season and I lost count on birds a long time ago and a jake better not hang around too long or I'll shoot him in the face. Aim carefully and fire away, they eat darn well too. Now if a mature bird is available as well the jake will walk, because they are the future. Also mature bird have more meat.

I'm not in the contest anyway, so I guess I'm just spouting off. I'm not in because I think it would bring the part of me I don't like out, but good luck to all that are...have fun and be honest.

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » March 3rd, 2011, 3:18 am

A question has been raised as to whether "out of state" birds count or not.  It doesn't matter where a bird is killed.  If you hunt out of state somewhere and kill a gobbler, that will count. 

Everybody that kills at least one mature gobbler or jake (anywhere) will count in the initial scoring. 

In the first tie-breaker, if needed, any team member that killed only jakes, will be subtracted from the team total.  If a team member kills a jake and then kills a mature gobbler later, the mature gobbler is the one used in the scoring.  The only time a jake will come into play in the first tie-breaker is if a member only kills jakes in the season. (Once again, this is not, in any way, meant to be a criticism of anyone shooting a jake,...it is just what I thought of first to break a tie)

If we get to the second tie-breaker, then each team member will count up the total number of gobblers and jakes they killed during the season.  We will add them all up for each team.  Whichever team total is the highest, they will be the winners.

If by some miraculous set of circumstances, after the second tie-breaker, any teams are still tied, I suppose we will then subtract jakes from the totals and see what happens.  If there is still a tie, we'll require a written essay.....[:D]

Hope this clears things up a bit....

Rule Maker   [:)]

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » March 3rd, 2011, 4:11 am

what if someone on your team  almost shot a gobbler, but shot a tree, that had a jake roosting in it. If after leaving the woods, he were to go and buy a frozen turkey, would that count towards anything whatsoever ???
David

Unofficial mascot for Team 2
Springtime Assassins

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » March 5th, 2011, 4:39 am

I like the way it's set up now, it's simple and no one cares about the weight, or beard length, or spur length, because birds from different areas of the country are different and that makes everyone equal. The way it's set up now, the only thing that matters is a filled tag, every bird is counted and that's the way it should be because that's what really matters anyway.
The only thing that may have helped was to put a point system on the birds, 10 points for gobblers 5 points for jakes, 70 points total per team. Any other birds taken after you score a bird would count 1/2 the points, 5 for gobblers, 3 for jakes, and those would be Bonus points. It would of made it easier for the teams to keep score and for the judges to score teams at the end of the season.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » March 5th, 2011, 9:38 am

"I like the way it's set up now, it's simple and no one cares about the weight, or beard length, or spur length, because birds from different areas of the country are different and that makes everyone equal. The way it's set up now, the only thing that matters is a filled tag, every bird is counted and that's the way it should be because that's what really matters anyway."

I agree with this, any legal turkey called to the gun or bow is a trophy in my book. the points thing would be another way to settle a tiebreaker, but i figure that whoever wants to take on administering this contest can do so as he/she sees fit 
David

Unofficial mascot for Team 2
Springtime Assassins

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » March 24th, 2011, 11:38 am

Just bumping this, I couldn't remember the rules...
South Carolina Low Country

DonMcJr

Postby DonMcJr » March 28th, 2011, 2:53 pm

One thing to consider...unless things changed Michigan Spring Bag Limit is one bearded Turkey...so if there is a tie with two teams all members getting a bird anyone from Michigan can't shoot another to help their team win!

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: Contest Rules

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » January 20th, 2012, 12:10 am

Just thought I'd bring this back to the top so any new members that want to get in can see the rules. :mrgreen:
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Fan Club

Re: Contest Rules

Postby Fan Club » March 3rd, 2012, 8:05 am

Another bump to bring this to the top of the page.
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

PreviousNext

Return to Base Camp