Surplus Tags Sale

charlie elk

RE: Surplus Tags Sale

Postby charlie elk » March 24th, 2011, 6:38 am

Checked with WDNR regarding the OTC tags - you must check out to lock in your tag, it remains first come first serve at the checkout. Unit 4 season D sold out in less than 5 minutes this morning.

Happy you snagged a tag Dewey and hope you have a good hunt, let me know how it goes. Thanks for the return offer. [:)]
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

RNC

Postby RNC » March 24th, 2011, 7:01 am

Sorry to hear about the tough luck Dewey. I got drawn for zone 4 season D and was able to get a surplus in zone 4 for season F. I also got one for my daughter in zone 4 for season E so she can go on the youth hunt in April also.
Of course this is hard. If it was easy everyone would do it. The HARD is what makes it great!

dewey

Postby dewey » March 24th, 2011, 7:52 am

Is there anyone else out there that got a zone 4 time period D except for me?[:D] In all reality whether it is time period D or E I am going to have a great time hunting, camping and canoeing along the St Croix River valley. Needless to say I am really EXCITED for the challenge!!!

Good luck RNC and Charlie this spring!

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

putt

Postby putt » March 24th, 2011, 10:31 am

Joeturkey.

This morning's Green Bay paper said that the 3385 leftover zone 2 tags sold out in 9 minutes Tuesday.  Sheesh.  Although total Wis turkey hunter numbers are down a bit, looks like those of us who do hunt go hard after the permits.

Joe, I'm curious what time you had to get in line to be #2 at the Fleet Farm counter.

With the 17+" of snow that fell here Tues/Wed you early season hunters may be able to track your turkeys in the snow.

Putt

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » March 25th, 2011, 3:46 am

This morning's Green Bay paper said that the 3385 leftover zone 2 tags sold out in 9 minutes Tuesday. Sheesh. Although total Wis turkey hunter numbers are down a bit, looks like those of us who do hunt go hard after the permits.

Wow that was quick.  Good thing you're coming to unit 1, if you want more tags they are still a bunch available.
The continuing decrease in turkey hunters is a bit disconcerting but it is possible that some have just quit trying to draw and instead just buying OTC.  
I am still going to be tag snagging until I have at least one tag per season - somewhere.  Only E & F left to snag the tags for and that is looking like an easy task in 1 & 3.  After that it is double up snag time for double the pleasure. [:D]
later,
charlie

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » March 25th, 2011, 8:35 am

ORIGINAL: dewey

Is there anyone else out there that got a zone 4 time period D except for me?[:D] In all reality whether it is time period D or E I am going to have a great time hunting, camping and canoeing along the St Croix River valley. Needless to say I am really EXCITED for the challenge!!!

Good luck RNC and Charlie this spring!

Dewey

I think I could have purchased one. At least it was available when I went to buy my period 6 tag anyways. I will not be in Wis then however, just there for periods 5 & 6.

Canoeing down the StCroix sounds like a blast! Good luck and hope you make some great memories!!
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

putt

Postby putt » March 25th, 2011, 10:18 am

ORIGINAL: charlie elk

Good thing you're coming to unit 1, if you want more tags they are still a bunch available.
The continuing decrease in turkey hunters is a bit disconcerting but it is possible that some have just quit trying to draw and instead just buying OTC.  

Yup, Charlie, I plan to be greedy & at 10am tomorrow I'll be trying for a second Zone 1 period D tag.  Two turkeys will be a bit optomistic for my first time in that area, but so be it.  Due to some family schedule conflicts I'll only have 3 days of hunting there, but I intend to hunt hard.  Then back to my home zone for the last two periods.

As far as turkey hunter numbers year-to-year, it would be interesting if the WDNR kept track of actual hunter numbers, not just the total permits sold.  I've even be interested in the oddball statistics, like what the most permits sold to a single hunter is & what the percentage of in-state versus out-of-state hunters is.

putt

arrowsonly

Postby arrowsonly » March 26th, 2011, 5:39 am

I missed out on the sale date for those few hundred zone 3 tag that were left for week C [:'(] [:'(] [:'(]
On vacation with family and spaced it out, enough to worry about at the Wilderness ! Hen's & Jennies everywere...
Oh well I pulled a muscle in my rib cage & can't draw my bow yet, so the left over tags in May look okay !

It's my MN tag in April that worries me the snow might still be 2 feet deep !
look em' in the eye before you give em' the shaft...
be a man hunt public land...

joeturkey

Postby joeturkey » March 26th, 2011, 6:00 am

Hey putt; I was going there for new sump pump and parts anyway so I checked line on my way in at 0915. Only 1 guy there? I got in line behind him at 0935. 2 guys got in line after me, we all got tags! I just knew it would be a zoo over at the Mountain, with sunday sale ad and all. I might buy 1 more tag for 5th or 6th season, but I'm not hurraying since they usually don't sell out! Good luck and Good hunting  joe
P.S. With all the dang turkeys in zone 2 the DNR better start handing out more tags for this area before were overrun by the buggers!!!!!!
"You need to drink a few large glasses of beer tonight. That is the only solution. "

Ben Franklin

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » March 26th, 2011, 8:10 am

As far as turkey hunter numbers year-to-year, it would be interesting if the WDNR kept track of actual hunter numbers, not just the total permits sold.

Putt,
I have these numbers for all licenses sold from 2000 - 2010.  If you want send me a PM or email with an email you would like them sent to, I'll get em right to you.  I planned to post them on this forum for all to see but could not get PDF or Excel uploaded.

Snagged another tag this morning for season E.  That provides me a tag for each season B-E [:D][:)][;)][:D][:D]
Plan to snag one tomorrow for season F.  Then I'll backtrack and snag tags where ever they are left.
1,3, or 4 I'm not picky.
later,
charlie

PreviousNext

Return to Wisconsin