Team #8....Broke Neck Raiders

The general page for the annual turkey hunting contest. Tons of fun even if you're not on a team.
retranger

RE: Team #8....Broke Neck Raiders

Postby retranger » March 20th, 2011, 10:56 am

Well done Mr. Morgan!!!! Looks like a dandy 3 year old.[;)][;)]
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » March 20th, 2011, 4:40 pm

Way to go Morgan!!!

Wow thats a nice bird.

Been reading the reports on you getting closer. Can't wait to hear the story.
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » March 20th, 2011, 5:46 pm

Heck of a bird you got there Morgan congrats[:D] Can't wait to hear your story.

Virginia Boy

Postby Virginia Boy » March 20th, 2011, 6:09 pm

Congrats Morgan! Very nice bird. Crazy big hooks! Would score a very respectable 72.5 NWTF points. Well done.
"There is nothing more logical than shooting your own dinner with a bow and arrow." Ted Nugent
"That turkey's got a beard bigger than Osama!" Michael Waddell
TEAM #7 - THE SUNRISE ASSASSINS

RNC

Postby RNC » March 21st, 2011, 1:47 am

Nicely done Morgan, congrats. My group doesn't get out until May 4 and with the recent climb in temps and snow melt I am getting the bug bad. I took my kids out to the local archery range last Saturday and we managed to find a flock of about 20 birds with 3 or 4 toms in it. No hunting is aloud in the area so we hit a few calls and got one bird to strut a couple of times but no gobbling. Then suddenly all the birds were moving out fast. I then spotted something running through a field towards the turkeys. Wouldn't you know it it was a coyote. I have been shooting at this archery range for over 30 years and never seen a yote in the area.  
Of course this is hard. If it was easy everyone would do it. The HARD is what makes it great!

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » March 21st, 2011, 1:17 pm

I posted the story in the General Discussion forum so everyone could read it. SC Bird Flops. I couldn't get pics there either.
South Carolina Low Country

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » March 21st, 2011, 1:32 pm

It's letting me post the pics from my cell but not from the camera at home. Any suggestions?

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » March 24th, 2011, 4:53 am

Hey Morgan, how many birds are ya allowed down there in SC.? Have you found gobbler #2 yet?

Hey Timber Chicken, how did you and your dad down there in Fl?

For myself, I still have 3 more long miserable weeks before our season starts.

Timber Chicken

Postby Timber Chicken » March 24th, 2011, 6:03 am

Well Guys I made it back safely. We had an awesome trip. I called a bird in for my Dad the first morning right off the roost it was a short hunt. THE BIRD WEIGHED 17 LBS 1 INCH SPURS AND 9 1/2 INCH BEARD.

Day 2 we brought my friend Tom's 13 year old daughter out. The birds came at about 15 yards but they were directly behind her and she wasn't able to get a shot. when we were done she asked us why it felt like the ground was vibrating when they were behind her. That was the first time she ever heard one spit and drum.

Day 3 We had a gobbler coming from a long long ways away. He got within 100 yards of us in the middle of a big field and just took off running away from our set up. I thought he might of seen someone move. I then caught movement out of the corner of my eye. COYOTE at 8 yards and Im holding a video camera ? Tom took him out thank goodness because I will be honest I wasn't sure how that was going to turn out for me.

Day 4 Probably the best day. The birds were gobbling like crazy then the hens fired up wasn't sure how it was going to turn out because there was alot of hens. I was able to get under the boss hens skin and we went back and forth at each other until she came in. I got real good video of her pecking the crap out of my decoy. Evidentally I was so focused in her I didn't notice the five strutters that followed her in until they all gobbled. My Dad and MY Buddy each took one. both were awesome Birds my Dads was 20 lbs with 1 1/4 inch spurs and a 10 inch paintbrush, Toms was also 20 lbs with 1 1/2 inch spurs and a 9 1/2 inch beard.

Day 5 I finally decide to carry the gun and didn't hear a bird. Sorry guys I will make up for it in Virginia.
Experience is the best teacher.

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » March 24th, 2011, 11:34 am

We are allowed 5 birds here. I "missed" one on Sunday afternoon, it flew and I couldn't find it. I'll be a weekend warrior for the rest of the season. I might get a Friday here and there.

ORIGINAL: kygobbler

Hey Morgan, how many birds are ya allowed down there in SC.? Have you found gobbler #2 yet?

Hey Timber Chicken, how did you and your dad down there in Fl?

For myself, I still have 3 more long miserable weeks before our season starts.

PreviousNext

Return to Base Camp