Openning weekend in NY

vipertech

Openning weekend in NY

Postby vipertech » May 4th, 2009, 11:04 am

Friday went to Father-in-laws farm.  Got there slightly late.  Didn't hear a single bird but they tend to arrive late in the day on this particular property.  Around 9:30am, I had two hens walk in past my setup.  They hung out for awhile and finally moseyed out.  Stayed the whole morning but never say anything else other than a fox.

Saturday my son and I went to my brother-in-laws farm.  Got setup in the same spot where my son shot his first bird last year.  Crows started their morning calling and a tom responded to them.  He was about 100 yards away.  A little later on, this tom began gobbling some more so I responded to him with some calls.  He answered each time.  Unfortunately, the moment he came off the roost, I could see he was with some hens and he never talked again.  We attempted to move to intercept their travel route but we lucked out.  We setup in another spot for a few hours but never heard anything else.  Around 9:30am, we decided to try the other farm.  On our way out, we made some calls and got a response from a hen.  She talked and talked and talked.  I began to think it was another hunter.  She finally walked right past us talking the whole time.  Turns out it was a bearded hen!  I haven't seen one of these in a long time.  I'd estimate that the beard was at least 5 inches long.

Didn't go Sunday due to other commitments. 

Unfortunately, we never got anything but seeing the bearded hen was very cool!

Return to New York