Mountain birds vs farmland birds

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
BluMtnGobbler

Mountain birds vs farmland birds

Postby BluMtnGobbler » March 21st, 2011, 12:12 pm

Does anyone have any tips or strategies for hunting mountain birds compared to birds like on farmland. I do all my hunting on sgl on mountains of pa. thanks
Brian

mark hay

RE: Mountain birds vs farmland birds

Postby mark hay » March 21st, 2011, 1:41 pm

By mountains I assume you also mean woods too. By farmland I assume you are referring to fields and woodlots.

I stay away from fields . That's just how I hunt . I like the woods . The bigger the better .

Locate the roosts or general area the birds prefer to roost .

Locate the saddles and benches in that same general area .

Ridge tops that end in an abrupt point are favored places of interest too.

As you scout  or hunt always read the sign the turkeys leave behind . Is there a lot of it or is it sparse? If there are forest roads there should be sign in those roads .

As for working a bird , I like to have plenty of understory or ground cover . Possibly a tree top or bank . I want the gobbler to come looking and when he gets close enough to see my calling position he's well inside my guns limit .
 Timber that is very open and he'll likely hang up . This is where knowing  the terrain ,,,,knowing where the birds do not mind going to ,,,,,and using what is there for blending in with your surroundings to your advantage is very useful in fooling a turkey to your gun .

When moving in the woods you need to move slowly and quietly . Not so slow that you'll never get anywhere,  but steady methodical , taking steps with deliberation. Listening between steps without stopping .
 Spend enough time in the woods and you will undoubtedly flush birds from their roost in an effort to gain ground on a roosted gobbler that you want to get to before fly down . It's part of turkey hunting . Sometimes a flush can be turned into an advantage for you by ridding you of the hens , or at least the eyes of birds other than your gobbling monarch .

I'm sure there will be others to offer up some good advice .

BluMtnGobbler

Postby BluMtnGobbler » March 21st, 2011, 2:33 pm

Mark, thanks a bunch
Brian

SpitnDrum

Postby SpitnDrum » March 21st, 2011, 2:59 pm

Mark has covered about all the good stuff.Hunting mountian Toms brings up a number of situations.I just want to add (hang up spots).I'm not shure about pa's terrain but I'm shure it doesn't vary much from Ky's ridge and hollow drainages that Toms love to stay on the other side of and gobble thier brains out at ya.Knowing or inticipating the terrain helps alot in this scenario try to get on his level with no major obstacles betwwen you and him while creeping through the timber.

I use the bench lines to my advantage here at home.You can move around the ridges fairly easy and it puts you at an advantage above or below the peaks or hollows of the ridges.That makes it easy to switch altitude on the ridge pretty fast if need be.I have also found the turkeys are fond of being pulled around the benches as well.
Kentucky Briar Jumper

A Kitchen-Dog is never a good rabbit HUNTER!

BluMtnGobbler

Postby BluMtnGobbler » March 22nd, 2011, 1:23 pm

spit n drum, thanks season coming soon, can't wait. Goin nuts

retranger

Postby retranger » March 22nd, 2011, 2:33 pm

I hunt all mountains and woods. Very few fields close by. We have power lines running through the woods. I have found these to be very productive. Have not run across one yet that didn't have turkeys on them. Can have some great set up locations and they are usually 30 yards wide. I will sometimes set a pop-up blind up and use it in increment weather. Good Luck, stay safe [;)]
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

Return to Strategies