calling strategies

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
yelp_wanted

RE: calling strategies

Postby yelp_wanted » March 20th, 2011, 2:25 pm

Thanks everyone for the welcomes and the tips. I'm hunting in Fairfield County SC on a property that's been leased from a logging company. We have a lot of cutover, but running through the middle of the property is a large creek that still has big standing roosting trees. The other side of the property is wooded heavily with "replacement" pines. I went scouting last weekend and heard four and saw one Tom. I was moving back to my truck when I saw the Tom on a powerline ridge a good 300 yards from me. He saw me first, but I could see his beard swinging through my binocs as he ran down the hill from me. Anyway, I saw a lot of turkey movement on the powerline side of the property during deer season (had a gobbler pack of 5 come by the stand one morning and hang out for about 30 minutes) and was excited when I heard them gobbling in the same area last weekend. I covered a lot of ground that scouting trip, but next weekend I'm going to sit in one spot with hopes to hearing some hens this time around.

The responses have been a TREMENDOUS help. One of the main reasons I asked was my fear about over calling. Thanks again and if anyone else has anything else to add, I'm all ears. The more I can learn the better. A buddy of mine (who now works for the NWTF) took me turkey hunting and got me my first jake. I've had the itch ever since!

13 more days here! I'll let you guys know how it goes!

Daniel

SpitnDrum

Postby SpitnDrum » March 20th, 2011, 2:36 pm

Thats probably something else I could add....Search youtube for live hens calling.Its very interesting to here the real thing talking.Youtube has alot of good videos that would help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObCUbHGe6Qg&feature=related

This hens lost just remember this is the real thing just listen to her yelp.

She has that ole tom fired up in the back ground

The hunter in this video is trying to keep this hen with him.He don't want her to run to the Tom.He is calling at the hen not the gobbler.
Kentucky Briar Jumper

A Kitchen-Dog is never a good rabbit HUNTER!

yelp_wanted

Postby yelp_wanted » March 20th, 2011, 3:47 pm

She made her presence heard huh?

retranger

Postby retranger » March 20th, 2011, 4:08 pm

Dan it's more than an ITCH!!![8|][:-][;)][:)]
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

yelp_wanted

Postby yelp_wanted » March 20th, 2011, 4:21 pm

Yeah, it's turned into a pretty bad rash! lol.

Previous

Return to Strategies