PA guys

Turkeybuster

RE: PA guys

Postby Turkeybuster » March 20th, 2011, 6:51 am

I agree with John the landowner determines the rules when giving permission to hunt his property and if they are not acceptable then dont hunt there.
I have permission to hunt on a couple properties limited to turkey hunting only and stated as such when asking permission as I was aware that the owners were deer hunters.
Without stating that upon asking permission the answer would have been no, and I would never set foot on those propertys in deer season. In the overlapping fall archery season it is ok to hunt turkeys but I do so with care as their sons hunt early mornings and late evenings and I will only hunt mid day.
So in essence if Sunday hunting was approved and was frowned upon by the landowners I
would not hunt and respect their wishes. It would not upset me in the least.
I hunt on a lease that does not allow rifles in deer season, shotguns with slugs only and no hand guns at any time, its there rules. No early muzzel loader hunting as not to interfere with the archery hunters and all hunters must park in a designated area.
If the owners would frown on Sunday hunting I would still stay in the lease. I cannot see property owners closing their land to hunting if this law is passed but with due respect for whatever their reasoning is I can see some landowners not allowing it.
I will respect their decision either way it is something to be worked out between the hunter and the property owner since you should have there permission to enter their property in the first place. As John stated It is a political thing in Pa. and not a main concern of land owners.

Jon
Turkeybuster

rsmithpa

Postby rsmithpa » March 20th, 2011, 12:44 pm

I am in favor of Sunday and not the all day hunting the second half of the season. That will be more like ambushing then hunting. Sit on a field edge where you know they come out and shoot one.....that is not hunting to me.
Full Fans, Longbeards, and Sharp Spurs

paboxcall

Postby paboxcall » March 20th, 2011, 2:10 pm

ORIGINAL: rsmithpa

I am in favor of Sunday and not the all day hunting the second half of the season. That will be more like ambushing then hunting. Sit on a field edge where you know they come out and shoot one.....that is not hunting to me.

Not everyone hunts field edges in PA, and you could make the same arguement for putting a bird to bed the night before, and setting up between his roost and that field edge at crack of dawn, whacking him as he hits the ground. No difference to me.

I think this roost shooting arguement we are hearing here and on other PA forums is over-hyped, just like the second tag was going to decimate the population across the Commonwealth a few years back.

Afternoons give the kids getting off the bus a chance to hunt, and for their parents to get home from work and take them.

How can that possibly be a bad thing?
"So much of this business of hunting turkeys, you stupid it up right at the last.
You do everything right for an hour and a half, and then you sit down here
and there's nothing you can do about it, you made a mistake."
Tom Kelly, [i]Turkey Tales

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » March 20th, 2011, 3:38 pm

The roost shooting thing is a joke most of the hunters complaining about it wouldnt let one set if the opportunity presented itself. Same old story not ethical at least on a forum.
I guess it gives them a ego trip same as:Oh you shot a jake! Whatever to each his own.

Jon
Turkeybuster

paboxcall

Postby paboxcall » March 20th, 2011, 4:00 pm

I'm looking forward to the afternoon hunt. Never did that before. I know Tom Kelly said in Turkey Tales that if you get one to gobble in the afternoon, it can be over in a minute and a half. We will see.
"So much of this business of hunting turkeys, you stupid it up right at the last.
You do everything right for an hour and a half, and then you sit down here
and there's nothing you can do about it, you made a mistake."
Tom Kelly, [i]Turkey Tales

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » March 20th, 2011, 5:07 pm

When I was hunting and guiding in Alabama I only took clients in the morning rarely in the afternoon which afforded me some hunting time. I killed a lot of birds in the afternoon
but there are also a lot of fields in the south. Most of the good hunting was wood lots and river bottom swamps I always favored them more so than the fields. It was definately good hunting down there in the pm. but pa. is going to be a different ball game. If you are in a area with some fields I think your chances are better but again we never had the opportunity to hunt in the pm. I know birds are active in the afternoon and Kelly is probably right however most of the birds I killed were with clucks and purring and they were silent to the approach with the exception occasionally giving some croaky gobbler yelps or clucks. Bob has a good point but you can call them in the afternoon they just arent as noisy.My only problem is hunters bumping birds in the afternoon only to make them go silent and harder to call and also they will roost wherever if hunters try to bushwack roosting sites. We will just have to see what happens it is going to be almost impossible to pattern a bird with all of the extra pressure. In the south it made no difference because we were hunting private leases and we could control hunting pressure.

Jon
Turkeybuster

MzlHunter

Postby MzlHunter » March 23rd, 2011, 2:44 pm

I am in favor of Sunday and all day hunting. If you get Pursuit channel watch Turkey Call this week. The episode is with Carl Roe from the PGC and Dr. Kennamer and the topic is all day hunting in Pa.

tex3012

Postby tex3012 » March 24th, 2011, 8:01 am

im excited for the afternoon hunt..

for everyone that is against it.. think about this, how many people are even out the last two weeks.. bearly anyone at all.. you might see a guy on a saturday and thats it. everyone hangs it up from being tagged out or just gave up on the birds...

the only people that will be out is us diehart turkey hunters looking to fill our second tag.. plain and simple..
--------------------
twitter @fishinreport
-------------------

tex3012

Postby tex3012 » March 24th, 2011, 8:09 am

oh and as far as sunday hunting goes, i cannot wait for that day to happen.. its weird it hasnt happened yet cause out of the amount of people i have ever talked about it with are 95% for it and 5% against it..

i would love a direct quote from the game commission about WHY sunday hunting is not alloud..
--------------------
twitter @fishinreport
-------------------

BluMtnGobbler

Postby BluMtnGobbler » March 24th, 2011, 11:44 am

I had heard some time ago that the reason they dont allow hunting on sundays is to allow people who dont hunt like hikers and bird watchers to be able to enjoy the state game lands. I wonder how much money they gave for purchasing land?

PreviousNext

Return to Pennsylvania