winchester xtended range hi density?

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
goosegetter

winchester xtended range hi density?

Postby goosegetter » March 12th, 2011, 10:12 am

do you need a special choke to shoot win. supreme elite extended range hi density out of a stoeger p350 or is it safe to use the turkey choke that came with it?

hawglips

RE: winchester xtended range hi density?

Postby hawglips » March 13th, 2011, 1:06 am

That shot is softer than hevishot or the higher density tungsten alloys most commonly used, so I wouldn't be concerned about it.

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » March 13th, 2011, 2:52 pm

I`ve shot the Winchester Xtended Range Hi-Density turkey loads for several seasons of hunting and sighting in, and just use the X-full turkey choke that came with the Browning BPS shotgun I have.

joeturkey

Postby joeturkey » March 13th, 2011, 8:17 pm

Hey hunter480; I have been using Rem. Nitros #5s in my Browning BPS for several years now, mostly because of price and availability. And they have provided me with the best pattern of all the shells iv'e tried so far? 12ga. 3 inch that is. I also use the factory choke that came with the gun and it has a 21 inch barrel. Is this the same gun that you are using and have you tried Rem vs. the Winchester ERHD shells?? Thanks joe
"You need to drink a few large glasses of beer tonight. That is the only solution. "

Ben Franklin

goosegetter

Postby goosegetter » March 16th, 2011, 3:12 pm

thanks fellas. I currently use win. supreme hi velocity shells in 3in. #5. I can rock a gobbler every time at 40 yards but like most fellas i'm still looking to be able to put the hammer down on one at 50 yards and be confident that it's over. Ya know..... if it comes down to it.

tradewater

Postby tradewater » March 16th, 2011, 4:00 pm

I have tried to the win extended range in several guns and chokes, and I cant get it to pattern for anything. This year I am shooting hevi-shot magnum blend and I have never seen anything pattern as well as this stuff.

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » March 18th, 2011, 8:34 am

ORIGINAL: joeturkey

Hey hunter480; I have been using Rem. Nitros #5s in my Browning BPS for several years now, mostly because of price and availability. And they have provided me with the best pattern of all the shells iv'e tried so far? 12ga. 3 inch that is. I also use the factory choke that came with the gun and it has a 21 inch barrel. Is this the same gun that you are using and have you tried Rem vs. the Winchester ERHD shells?? Thanks joe

Hi Joe.....I`m shooting the Browning BPS NWTF 12 ga.......not certain about the barrel length. I`ve only shot the Winchester Xtended Range loads....never tried the Hevi-Shot when I heard you needed a special choke for them. Now that I`ve seen how incredible the Winchester loads are, I doubt I`d try anything else....

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » March 18th, 2011, 12:52 pm

I'm not sure what that choke is rated to shoot. If it's "lead only" it will probably say that on the choke.

All shot types are rated on the Diamond Pyramid Hardness Scale (DPH).  Winchester Xtended Range Hi-Density, Remington Wingmaster HD and Federal Heavyweight shot are all rated at between 90 -120 DPH. Environ-Metal Hevi-Shot's brand Hevi-13 is rated at 200+ DPH.

Typical lead shot is rated at 35 DPH and typical steel shot is rated at 90-120 DPH.

I hope that helps.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

joeturkey

Postby joeturkey » March 19th, 2011, 12:49 pm

Hey Clark+ Hunter480; My Browning BPS is the older non camo model with invector choke I think? The newer NWTF version comes full camo with 24 inch barrel I believe? Clark do you know what the DPH for REM. Nitro ammo is? Also if I wanted to try Hevi shot in my BPS what choke and restriction would you recomend? Thanks Joe
"You need to drink a few large glasses of beer tonight. That is the only solution. "

Ben Franklin

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » March 21st, 2011, 4:56 am

Hey Joe,

The Remington Nitro lead shells should have a DPH rating of about 35, very soft lead.

I use and recommend the SSX http://www.allaboutshooting.com/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=81 in my BPS guns with 3" Hevi-13 "Bronze" shells with 2 oz. of #6 shot.

I hope that helps.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Next

Return to Shooting