trkynut54

Good luck...

Postby trkynut54 » April 24th, 2009, 2:26 am

Good luck to all you Pa guys tomorrow 
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

Everyday Hunter

RE: Good luck...

Postby Everyday Hunter » April 24th, 2009, 3:58 am

Hoping to see a lot of PA pictures, and hoping one of them is mine.

Steve
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

turkeylimb

Postby turkeylimb » April 24th, 2009, 4:53 am

Time to rock and roll good luck be safe.

MAK

Postby MAK » April 24th, 2009, 4:54 am

Good luck guys and gals - sounds like it's going to be a peach of a day.
MAK

Moonshine Gobbler

Postby Moonshine Gobbler » April 24th, 2009, 7:39 am

Good Luck all!
Here it is gonna be 90º on Saturday. I hope it get's em fired up.
 I wanna see pic's

R

JeffCoHunter

Postby JeffCoHunter » April 28th, 2009, 12:48 pm

Anybody fill any tags yet?  I hunted the first day and had 2 gobblers within 100 yards that were henned up and wouldn't come any closer.  Also heard a 5 or 6 other birds that either would not come in or were real far off.  Unfortunately I also saw about 4 other hunters that made things real tough, especially when one of them walks in on your set-up just as it is getting daylight and close to fly down time. 

Plan on hunting the same area again tomorrow morning.  Hoping for some good action after these storms and rain move through tonight.  The place is loaded with turkeys and many longbeards, i confirmed this preseason scouting.   This is the first year I hunted it and it looks like hunter pressure and hens will be my biggest obstacles!

paboxcall

Postby paboxcall » May 4th, 2009, 12:47 pm

My first trumpet gobbler!

Thursday morning in 2G.  Set up on a gobbling bird still on the roost -- got in tight with them -- couple clucks and a few yelps on the trumpet, and this one flew down first and came in quiet while the first bird continued to hammer.  From first gobble on the roost, to a filled tag, was about seven minutes. 

14.5 lbs, 1" spurs, and 8.5" beard.

"So much of this business of hunting turkeys, you stupid it up right at the last.
You do everything right for an hour and a half, and then you sit down here
and there's nothing you can do about it, you made a mistake."
Tom Kelly, [i]Turkey Tales

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » May 4th, 2009, 2:04 pm

Paboxcall Congrats. on a job well done! What's up with the weight on the bird for the size of the spurs and beard you would think he would have more weight.
Turkeybuster

paboxcall

Postby paboxcall » May 4th, 2009, 3:37 pm

ORIGINAL: Turkeybuster

Paboxcall Congrats. on a job well done! What's up with the weight on the bird for the size of the spurs and beard you would think he would have more weight.

TB -- that's the funny part.  A couple of years ago on the exact same ridge, I called in a gobbler for the ol'timer at our camp - he was sitting at a tree about 30 feet from where I got this one.  His hunt lasted ten minutes, and his beard had 1" spurs, 9.5" beard, and his weighed 14.5 lbs. 

Either genetics or a lot of fighting and breeding going on up there...
"So much of this business of hunting turkeys, you stupid it up right at the last.
You do everything right for an hour and a half, and then you sit down here
and there's nothing you can do about it, you made a mistake."
Tom Kelly, [i]Turkey Tales

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » May 4th, 2009, 4:19 pm

ORIGINAL: paboxcall

ORIGINAL: Turkeybuster

TB -- that's the funny part.  A couple of years ago on the exact same ridge, I called in a gobbler for the ol'timer at our camp - he was sitting at a tree about 30 feet from where I got this one.  His hunt lasted ten minutes, and his bord had 1" spurs, 9.5" beard, and his weighed 14.5 lbs. 

Either genetics or a lot fo fighting and breeding going on up there...

That's my guess. Just because he not a heavy bird, it doesn't mean he's not the dominant gobbler. Sometimes the little guys are aggressive. I think it's called the Napoleon complex.

Steve
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Next

Return to Pennsylvania