turkey tracks

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
trkyhntr80

turkey tracks

Postby trkyhntr80 » March 16th, 2011, 3:52 am

So I'm scouting this past Saturday and I found no scat or feathers but I did find some tracks on a logging road all over the place.Should I continue to.scout that area for new tracks and then set up on him on opening morning or should I go look for more sign than just tracks?
In the Black Warrior WMA tracks are few and far between so they are enough to get me excited,but are they enough to warrant concentrating on this one particular area?

retranger

RE: turkey tracks

Postby retranger » March 16th, 2011, 4:53 am

Determine if the tracks are of a hen or a tom or both. May want to see if you can locate the roast trees. I would continue scouting and see if you can pattern their movements. Scout other areas as well and see what you come up with.
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

SpitnDrum

Postby SpitnDrum » March 16th, 2011, 4:58 am

Ye I would stay in that general area.If I'm not mistaken The Black Warrior WMA is in Alabama.Turkeys still have some moving to do,but I would start my concentration there if I had no other prospects to check in on.Those turkeys will be there somewhere you'll just have to get out and find em.Could you distiguish the difference in the track?Was it a hen or a Tom?
Kentucky Briar Jumper

A Kitchen-Dog is never a good rabbit HUNTER!

trkyhntr80

Postby trkyhntr80 » March 16th, 2011, 5:06 am

I'm thinking it was a gobbler the tracks are bigger than my hand.

SpitnDrum

Postby SpitnDrum » March 16th, 2011, 5:10 am

Did the middle toe of any of the tracks look bigger than the outside toes or was they all equal in length?
Kentucky Briar Jumper

trkyhntr80

Postby trkyhntr80 » March 16th, 2011, 5:16 am

The middle toe seemed to be around an inch longer .I don't know if it matters or not but there was almost a perfect little circle right in the center of the tracks.I will post a pic of one of them tonight I'm on my phone right now and it won't let me upload pics.

retranger

Postby retranger » March 16th, 2011, 5:18 am

I'm not familiar with your birds but a track of that size up here would be something other than a turkey!!!! LOL I measure the middle toe from tip to heel and anything over 4 inches is a tom. The largest I have ever seen was 5 inches. If your groups have split up those birds should stay in that area. Go in the evening and see if you can get them to gobble on the roast with a locater call.
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

SpitnDrum

Postby SpitnDrum » March 16th, 2011, 5:28 am

Heres some Tom tracks I took pictures of a few days back

Kentucky Briar Jumper

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » March 16th, 2011, 6:29 am

Tracks don't lie. He was there since the last heavy rain. The gobblers like walking the logging roads at my lease because they can see or be seen farther than in the woods. Logging roads also allow you easier access into heavy woods near where the turkeys might be starting their day. Those same roads can also allow other hunters in the same area you're hunting, so be careful. Good luck. Bust a big one.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

trkyhntr80

Postby trkyhntr80 » March 16th, 2011, 7:47 am

Yeah I'm pretty sure they were gobbler tracks.thanks for the advice guys.I sure hope I get him.It is really close to a creek bottom surrounded my hardwood and hemlocks and the openings there aren't planted with anything but grass so I think I will stick around in that area.

Next

Return to Strategies