What kind of choke(s) do you use?

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
Cut N Run

What kind of choke(s) do you use?

Postby Cut N Run » March 11th, 2011, 1:18 am

I'm adding another choke to the mix. I'm pretty happy with the two I currently hunt with (Wright's .660 & Kick's .655) in my SBE II but wanted to add another to tighten the pattern for perhaps 5 more yards. I ordered a TruGlo SSX from Clark @ All About Shooting (thanks!) and hope to put it to good use this year. Sections of the trees at my lease were thinned & selective cut a couple of years ago that has opened up farther shot possibilities.

My farthest shot on a turkey has been 27 yards, so a new choke is kind of unnecessary, I just want any advantage I can get.

How about you, what do you hunt with?

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Treerooster

RE: What kind of choke(s) do you use?

Postby Treerooster » March 11th, 2011, 3:09 am

I use a Carlson .670 in my gun and get a pattern that will kill a turkey farther than I will shoot one. I tried several chokes in my gun, but that hasppened to be the one that came with the gun and it worked best with the shell I am using (3 in Win XR 1 3/4 oz 6's). Carlson seems to make a pretty good choke for the money.

However if I were to buy a new choke I would look at a Pure Gold .670. I have heard many good things about them giving good even patterns. Maybe not the most dense pattern if you are coiunting holes, but good even hunting patterns. The best thing is...shoot it and if you don't like it, then send it back for a refund. Other chokes may have that policy, but thats something you might consider when trying one.

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » March 11th, 2011, 3:26 am

Like you, Jim, I ordered the SSX from Clark shortly after Christmas when I received my Benelli Vinci. It's not a very expensive choke, especially when compared to some of the others that people shoot that cost anywhere from $75+. I followed Clark's recommendation and shot Hevy-13 3" 2oz. #6 "Bronze" shells through it a couple of weeks ago and I was very impressed with the results. That combination shot about 4-5" high from 20, 30, and 40 yards, but as long as I hold down low on his waddles he is in major trouble out to 45 yards or so. If I hold my gun about 4" lower, these are the approximate results it gets in a 10" circle:

20 yards: 300+ pellets
30 yards: 240-250 pellets
40 yards: 175+ pellets

I really like the choke combo and I thanked Clark up and down for the recommendation. I also found them very comfortable to shoot from my Vinci. When shooting clay loads (which is my second passion) I can't tell a significant difference between my Vinci and my Rem 1100. I can, however, tell a major difference when shooting any sort of heavy 3" load from the gun. You still have all of your teeth with no bruised shoulders after you shoot and you're gun's not pointing to the sky after the shot, which makes for a quick follow up shot if necessary. A little over a month left till season opens up here in KY and I've been ready since the end of last season. Good hunting too all of you fellas[;)]
Brian

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » March 11th, 2011, 3:43 am

Thanks Brian. I appreciate the info. I had a SBE I and the SSX choke out-performed every other one I tried. When I got the SBE II TruGlo didn't make a choke to fit it right away & I tried a couple of other brands. Each does a good job too, but I want better.

My Benelli shoots about 4" low too. I even contacted Benelli USA about it and they suggested I change the shim. I had the correct shim in there to start, so the gun just shoots high. My intention was to get the point of impact adjusted, but the economy has not left me with as much spare change as I'm used to, so that will have to wait and I'll continue to hold low.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » March 11th, 2011, 4:00 am

Jim, I'm in the same boat. I'm not changing shims because the gun mounts perfectly to my shoulder, and when mounted, I can see straight down barrel to the beads. When at the range I kept praying that there were no windage issues because I really really didn't want to have to buy adjustable sites to correct the problem. When I saw the gun shot 4" high on my first shot at 20 yards I thought I may have flinched, but I was shooting off of a solid rest. So I held in the same area on my other 2 targets and the gun just shoots high, which is better than shooting too low, I guess. I have enough pellets in a 10" circle to kill a bird out to 40 yards, but I'm sending half of my pattern plum over top of his head. So as long as I hold at the very base of the neck, I feel bad for any bird that has to get hit with the load I'm throwing at him. Well on second thought, I guess I don't feel that bad[;)]
Brian

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » March 11th, 2011, 1:45 pm

I have a Comp-N-Choke XXX turkey choke and it patterns well, but actually, the turkey choke that came with the Browning NWTF BPS patterened even better with the Winchester Xtended range Hi-Density turkey loads I shoot.

hunter177

Postby hunter177 » March 11th, 2011, 6:00 pm

I shoot an 870 and my main choke is a Primos Jelly Head .665 and my back up is a TruGlo Gobble Stopper Extreme .665. Good luck this Spring!

nyhunter

Postby nyhunter » March 13th, 2011, 8:21 am

what kind of numbers are you getting from your 2 current chokes? I'm currently shooting out of my SBEII an I.C .665 and win, elite xtend rang 3.5" 2oz #6 and average 173. I got 168 ave. out of the H-13 3.5" 2.25oz #6. I to am shopping for a new choke to tighten my pattern up. What loads are you shooting and what have you tried?

Longbeards

Postby Longbeards » March 14th, 2011, 5:49 am

835/Jellyhead .695
870/Jellyhead .660

Both pattern with 200+ pellets at 40 yards.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » March 14th, 2011, 6:00 am

Just wanted to say that I ordered that SSX .643 choke from Clark @ All About Shooting on Friday 3-11 and it is now screwed into the end of my gun on 3-14. Thanks for the prompt service Clark. Looking forward to breaking it in at the range & in the woods.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Next

Return to Shooting