Team #4...Turkeys on a Plane

The general page for the annual turkey hunting contest. Tons of fun even if you're not on a team.
retranger

RE: Team #4...Turkeys on a Plane

Postby retranger » April 5th, 2011, 3:12 am

Eric don't feel lonely. Two years ago I had about an identical situation. We just pulled up to an area on an old woods road. We called when we got just in the woods and nothing. Walked about twenty yards and saw a hen feeding. We didn't really spook her but she walked off. We set up and called but got nothing. We then walked down an old skid road and about 100 yards down a gobbler was feeding. We jumped off the side of the road and sat and called and he blew our hats off. He closed the distant between us, maybe 75 yds on a steady gait and went down 30 yds in front of us. I ended up better than you, but same situation. Just because you don't hear a gobble doesn't mean they aren't around!!! You didn't do anything wrong, but you did gain some education.[:)] Every body talks about educating the turkeys but how often do the turkeys educate the hunter???[8|][8|] He will be there next time!!
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

Cut N Run

RE: Team #4...Turkeys on a Plane

Postby Cut N Run » April 5th, 2011, 8:31 am

I had something similar happen about 10 years ago. After he left the hen he had been following, the gobbler didn't make a sound and had gone back to where he heard me calling from. Since I hadn't heard anything since he answered my calls going away, I figured he was busy off with hens. I got ot within 50 feet of the tree I had been set up against and he took off scrambling almost from under foot. I didn't expect him to be in the area and I let my guard down.

He won that round, but one of my buddies tagged him 4 days later about 300 yards from where I encountered him.

Hang in there and be patient. Good things will happen for you.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Previous

Return to Base Camp