Decoys

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
MoJack

RE: DECOYS

Postby MoJack » February 28th, 2011, 4:23 am

I will carry a couple every time I go out, cause i am never completely sure where I will end up. Couple of hens and a non-strutting Jake. I wish they could figure out a way to get a strutter to break down though, to where you could carry it without leaving everything else behind.
Professional Turkey Scarer Awayer

MAKEemQUIVER

Postby MAKEemQUIVER » February 28th, 2011, 3:03 pm

I carry a single hen with me, sometimes I use it sometimes I dont. One thing you can do with one of your hens is sit it on the ground like she is ready to breed.

TURKEYBOSS

Postby TURKEYBOSS » March 4th, 2011, 6:46 am

SOME GOOD IDEAS AND ADVICE!

WHAT I CARRY DEPENDS ON THE TIME OF THE YEAR, HERE IN THE GREAT STATE OF WISCONSIN OUR SEASON IS DIVIDED INTO 6 SEPERATE SEASONS, MEANING YOU GET FROM WEDNESDAY TO SUNDAY TO GET UR BIRD. IF ITS IN THE FIRST 3 WEEKS THAT I HAVE DRAWN A TAG I WILL USUALLY CARRY A STRUTER WITH A READY TO BREED HEN AND THEN ONE MORE HEN JUST TO ADD A LITTLE EXTRA TO MY SETUP. BUT ONCE IF I DRAW A LATE TAG I WILL USUALLY JUST CARRY ONE HEN AND SOMETIMES I WONT USE IT DEPENDING ON HOW HARD THEY HAVE BEEN HUNTED.

JUST BOUGHT A NEW DECOY YESTERDAY!

AVIAN X BY ZINK CALLS!
PROBABLY THE MOST REALISTIC COLAPSABLE DECOY I HAVE SEEN. IT WAS A LITTLE PRICEY BUT I HAVE SEEN WAY WORSE!

retranger

Postby retranger » March 4th, 2011, 3:23 pm

Dennis that's pretty good turkey country, better than where I am. My first assignment was in Greene county (Windham) 1968
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

widowmaker

Decoys

Postby widowmaker » March 6th, 2011, 10:33 pm

I was wondering if anyone has and knowledge about turkey decoys. For example, is there a certain time of the season where jake decoys may become more effective in luring in a tom when they are paired up with a hen decoy?

Thanks.

M.K.

Longbeards

RE: Decoys

Postby Longbeards » March 7th, 2011, 12:48 am

Hey M.K.,

First, I think you came to the right place to answer your question. I have found that this forum consist of an amazing amount of experience from hunters who love to hunt Turkeys. And, these hunters are from all over the country. I would tell you that if you are able to scout the area you will hunt, it may give you an idea of what to use.

I have had luck with a jake decoy strutting with a feeding hen early season. This is something I picked up on from scouting the area and seeing several Longbeards in the field I was going to hunt. If I am not able to scout I may use a hen or two which is very productive, if I get into an area where I can put them up.

I've used my pretty boy and a couple of hens in one area where the day prior I had watched three big boys following a group of hens just out of range from me. I put up the decoys the next day, watched them come out just like the day prior and the three Gobblers came running over and stomped on my strutting decoy. Game over for one of them.....Thanks and good luck in your season.

Dale L.

Postby Dale L. » March 7th, 2011, 1:17 am

I also have had pretty good luck with a jake and hen setup early season. Especially if I know there is a group of two or more longbeards together. Seems like when they have the number advantage they will come in pretty aggressive. The first time I ever used decoys was opening morning several years ago. Had the Feather Flex Love Triangle. Which consists of a hen, passive jake and aggressive jake. After getting what I thought was one hard gobbling bird headed my way, I just kinda settled in and kept quite to see what would happen. Next thing I knew a bird gobbled thirty yards out. It was a group of three toms and they strutted around that aggressive jake decoy brushing up against it for about five minutes before I could get a good shot. I was able to take one that morning and later in the season I got the second bird from that group. I would say that third one was well educated by the end of season. But I love using decoys because I enjoy seeing how different birds react. I have however had birds shy away from my setups if they have been hunted hard and exposed to them before. I am by no means an expert on this but this is just some of my experience. Hope this helps.

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » March 7th, 2011, 3:30 am

when i use decoys, i usually put out a jake and a upright hen and feeding hen, i have had gobblers come in and kick the snot out of the jake and have had them shy away from my setup, at all phases of season, my guess would be it has to do with the frame of mind [?] of the gobbler, or his place in the pecking order, i will say that if they see your spread they come in more often than they shy away, in my experience, so give it a try, there are no absolutes in this game.....

every gun makes its own tune.....

wseested

Postby wseested » March 11th, 2011, 8:56 am

Decoys have their time and place, but too many people think they are a necessity. I like Dave Smith Decoys (DSD) and the new Zink Avian. Realism is key in my mind. Due to the advanced visual acuity of a turkey, if it doesn't look real to you, it certainly won't look real to them. As far as setup goes, the possibilities are endless. I like to either use two or three hens, or a submissive hen with a jake placed right behind it. If you are hunting public land, I'd stay away from using any kind of decoy with a full fan. I primarily use decoys when I'm hunting open areas, like a field. If the turkey can scan a wide expanse of ground without seeing a turkey, it's going to be a little wary of approaching too close.

Rennat

Postby Rennat » March 11th, 2011, 3:04 pm

think im leaving the decoys at home this season EVERY time i have used them my gobblers hang up wanting the decoys to come to him... makes for a frustrating day but then again im hunting public land with plenty of hunters too
NWTF Member

PreviousNext

Return to Strategies