first try, son with me

Whether you're a 10-year-old kid or a 40-year-old kid-at-heart, bagging that first bird is a thrill. This is the place to share photos and stories of your first harvest.
sugarray

first try, son with me

Postby sugarray » May 26th, 2009, 5:29 am

April 27, 2009, opening day of WV spring gobbler season.  I had decided 1 year ago to purchase a blind to be able to take my son hunting and felt spring turkey to be the best.  I have never turkey hunted, called, or even own a shotgun to use.  I bought a Primos power crystal and sanded and sanded and finally got some fair sounding yelps to come out.  Also, bought him a Primos spring Hen, and he can yelp with the best of them.  I borrowed my brother's 870 express with 21" barrel and put an Undertaker .675 choke in.  Shooting Rem 2 3/4", #6 shot.  Getting 20 pellets at 30 yds.  I think well, probably won't see one anyway.
We set up the blind on the day before.  Get up at 5 am and get dressed.  He is very excited, can't keep him from waking the whole house.  He is just about ready to fall asleep when we get to the hunting spot.  We have to walk about 3-400 yds and he talks the whole way.  About 100 yds from blind and 2 gobblers let loose.  He doesn't hear it or know what the sound was and I tell him to call.  Well, on the 2nd or 3rd yelp with that spring hen, they let loose again and he is all smiles.  And man are they close, just over the hill.  Almost 6 now and able to see pretty good.  We run to the blind and get a hen decoy out and start calling and waiting.  They want nothing from my power crystal, but each time he yelps they will answer.  Then a 3rd gobbler enters the fray from behind us.  He can't hardly keep still.  About 630 2 hen come through and are clucking and really have the boys a gobblin.  Then the 2 in front get quiet, so we turn around in the blind, he decides to lay down and cover up with the blanket I brought.  Then the one behind us quiets down and the other 2 begin again, so we turn around again.  He gets back up in the chair and falls asleep, just as the big boy shows up.  I had to wake him up, but he got to see him strut around for 5 min or so.  He keeps saying shoot him dad, and I want to wait till it gets closer to the decoy.  My son then decides to  tip his chair, fall into me, and knock the power crystal into the side of the blind, I mean all kinds of noise.  Gobbler just keeps struttin.  He now has his back to us and I raise the gun, ready to shoot.  He turns and I let him have it.  dropped him in his strut.  We yell and holler, run out to him and smiles is all I see.  I can't keep him off the turkey while I pack up our stuff.  Best day of my life, truely bless by God in a great experience.

"I'll see you around, round my hometown" Charlie Robison

dewey

RE: first try, son with me

Postby dewey » May 26th, 2009, 8:49 am

Truly a trophy turkey hunt all around and a great story.  Congratulations to you and your son and welcome to the forum.  What were the measuerments on your gobbler?

Dewey

mark hay

Postby mark hay » May 26th, 2009, 12:44 pm

congrat's to you and your son .
 Is that the beard I see ? Looks more like a horses tail .
Fine bird !!

sugarray

Postby sugarray » May 26th, 2009, 1:01 pm

beard 9", but had some long straglers that came out
spurs, didn't measure cause my infield estimate was only 1/2-3/4 in
wt - 17 lbs dressed, just before going in oven, no stuffing

Return to First Time Turkeys