Team #5....Limbhangers

The general page for the annual turkey hunting contest. Tons of fun even if you're not on a team.
Gobblerman

Team #5....Limbhangers

Postby Gobblerman » March 1st, 2011, 4:11 am

Team #5....Limbhangers

firelt72
Kenturkey89
MAKEemQUIVER
MoJack
Roycefromrc
SouthernStrut
SpitnDrum 
turkeytracks

roycefromrc

RE: Team #5

Postby roycefromrc » March 1st, 2011, 8:23 am

Just checkin in. Ive never turkey huntd before,but have hunted South Dakota my whole life.I have no doubts that ill have two fine toms by May 3rd. My season doesnt start till April 9th, with a second bird available May 1st. Spending my time learning everything I can about turkey hunting.
caution: I make bad decisions.

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » March 1st, 2011, 9:17 am

Glad to have you on the team royce. I've hunted for several years but still consider myself a beginner because I'm still learning so much about this wonderful sport. Season opens up here in KY on April 16, which is usually about the time the big boys have all their hens with them. I hunt private land but these birds are still extremely tough to harvest. But as long as the weather cooperates with me I believe I'll have a very good chance at harvest one, and possibly two birds to fill my tag for the season. I have many new items this year from guns and calls, to vests and decoys that I can't wait to use. I've been doing a little scouting but will be doing plenty more as the season draws near. I just purchased the book, "Practical Turkey Hunting Strategies", by Ray Eye that I will probably start reading in a week or so. I've heard it has info in there that's important for beginners and pro's alike, so I can't wait to see what else I can learn. Look forward to hearing from the rest of you. Only 46 days left for me[:D][:D]
Brian

MoJack

Postby MoJack » March 1st, 2011, 9:46 am

Howdy boys!!  Thought I would drop in and say that team #5 is gonna rule the roost!!!  That is....as long as you guys know what your doing!  Ha!  I caught this insidious disease 3 years ago and have yet to find a turkey dumb enough to walk up and stick his head in the end of my shotgun.  I have walked more miles than anyone you know, got more tick and mosquito bites, more blisters on my feet, backaches from carrying the 50 lbs of redundant gear and sitting on the hard ground, not to mention the fact that I have bought enough gear to outfit an army, but I am still learning the important details.  I am trying to find either some private land to hunt on, and/or doing better scouting on the public land that I hunt this year, and if I have to resort to hand grenades, I am gonna get one! 
Professional Turkey Scarer Awayer

SouthernStrut

Postby SouthernStrut » March 1st, 2011, 1:19 pm

Hey guys good to meet you all. No matter how new or how experienced you are at this, it's all about enjoying God's woods and soaking in the sounds and sights of the most exciting thing you can do with your clothes on! I'm SS, ready for the best time of year again, with 14 days til we kick off down here. FIRELT! What's up brother?! I saw some of your calls at the convention and even worked a couple of them, great sounding slates man! Ol' Kenny aint over here this year is he? Guys I'm pumped and ready to let out an early morning hoot and feel the thunder. Team 5 is gonna tear em up this year!

Anyways I've been turkey hunting 3 tracts of family land since I was 18, about 8 years now. I've killed about 25 birds, only one of them a jake and the others having beards no less than 8" long. I consider myself experienced (on my land), and usually kill at least two birds every year, most years 3 or 4, except the first year while I was learning and only killed one. I have a lot of competition around me from another guy that is a serious gobbler killin machine (and poacher). Word is he killed 50 birds last spring and we've caught him locating birds during early morning hours on our property several times. He hunts probably 5000 acres around the county (plus mine when I'm not there), vs me who hunts about 600 total and never crosses the property line. I mention him because he plays a big part in my turkey season and you'll hear me complaining about him very often. I make my own mouth calls and consider myself pretty good at working a diaphragm. I hoot and gobble with my natural voice, and have recently started playing around with hen calling with my voice as well. I wipe dirt on my face, love it when an old tom makes me belly crawl after him, hunt pouring rain and thunderstorms, and enjoy working a bird for several hours. When I turkey hunt, I TURKEY HUNT, like a starving Cherokee indian. I'm ready to go and ready to meet the rest of the team. Let's get em guys.

SS

MAKEemQUIVER

Postby MAKEemQUIVER » March 1st, 2011, 1:24 pm

Cant wait to get started guys, hopefully we can help some longbeards take some dirt naps this spring. SS what state are you from? Glad to see someone on the team that gets an early start, the rest of us can act like we are there with you [:D].

SouthernStrut

Postby SouthernStrut » March 1st, 2011, 3:10 pm

I'm down here in Alabama
Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person. - Fred Bear

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » March 2nd, 2011, 5:15 pm

Hey SS, looks like you're batting lead off for the team, which is A OK with me. I look forward to hearing of your successes in a couple weeks[:D]
Brian

SouthernStrut

Postby SouthernStrut » March 2nd, 2011, 11:52 pm

Yeah I hope I can make it happen bud, I used to have a good little opening day streak going til last year. Last season was the first in about 4 or 5 years I got skunked on opening day, so hopefully I can start that streak up again. They're usually pretty vocal around opening day, VERY hot the second week of the season from about Mar 24-April 4, and hot again the last week or two of April. I'm going down to the property after work today to stay the weekend and try to get some stuff done before we kick off, so maybe I'll have a good scouting report to give yall when I get back. Quiver, what state(s) are you hunting?
Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person. - Fred Bear

STEROIDCHICKEN

Postby STEROIDCHICKEN » March 3rd, 2011, 3:07 pm

kenturkey....what part of kentucky do you hunt at? i usually hunt the guston area every year...if you are close, i would be glad to help you in any way i can. i know that i am on another team, but i am always up for helping a fella-turkey hunter out when i can.
Ronnie Smith's Outdoor Adventure Prostaff and Cameraman

Next

Return to Base Camp