best time of the day to hunt turkeys

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
Cut N Run

RE: best time of the day to hunt turkeys

Postby Cut N Run » February 24th, 2011, 10:58 am

Mid-mornings have been good to me, especially when the hens are heading off to the nest. Hunting at flydown can be fun, but turkeys don't always head your direction, then you have to get out in front of them. I prefer to be set up in an area turkeys like to travel through where it is easier to get them to respond to calling from.

Give me mid-day, mid-week, mid-season & I'm good.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

retranger

Postby retranger » February 24th, 2011, 1:48 pm

As Grizzly stated we NY boys can only hunt till noon. I have killed my birds from first light to half hour before shooting ends. It is fun to be there at first light and hear the gobbling commotion, but its all fun and addicting!!
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

TURKEYBOSS

Postby TURKEYBOSS » February 25th, 2011, 8:45 am

IN MY PERSONAL OPINION THE BEST TIME TO HUNT THAT TOM IS EARLY IN THE MORNING, OR LATE MORNING TO EARLY AFTERNOON.

THE EARLY MORNING WILL WORK WELL IF YOU CAN GET BETWEEN THE TOM AND HIS LADIES! OR ATLEAST GET IN CLOSE TO THEM.

ON THE OTHER SIDE THE LATE MORNING TO EARLY AFTERNOON WILL WORK WELL LATER IN THE SEASON CAUSE THE HENS WILL GO SIT ON NEST AND THE TOMS WILL GO OUT LOOKING FOR HENS THEY HAVNT FOUND YET.

BUT LIKE SOME OF THE OTHERS HAVE SAID ANY TIME YOU CAN BE IN THE TURKEY WOODS IS A GOOD TIME! FOR AS MUCH SKILL THAT IS INVOLVED THERE IS JUST AS MUCH LUCK IN IT TOO! THE RIGHT CALL AT THE RIGHT TIME WILL BRING EVEN THE SMARTEST TOM INTO RANGE!

Gobblernut

Postby Gobblernut » February 26th, 2011, 12:16 pm

Off the early morning roost that is unless they fly down with a butt load of hens which is mostly what happens.. Sick feeling to use every call you know and to hear them keep going in the other direction.
Gobblernut

You can't kill'em sittin on the couch!!!!

Previous

Return to Strategies