best time of the day to hunt turkeys

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
Franco

best time of the day to hunt turkeys

Postby Franco » February 23rd, 2011, 1:15 pm

Is there a prime time of the day to hunt turkeys?

If you had to pick the absolute worse time of the day, when would that be?

Do turkeys act or pattern any different on any of these conditions:

Rainy day
Windy day
Cold or hot day

mark hay

RE: best time of the day to hunt turkeys

Postby mark hay » February 23rd, 2011, 1:44 pm

ORIGINAL: Franco

Is there a prime time of the day to hunt turkeys?

If you had to pick the absolute worse time of the day, when would that be?

Do turkeys act or pattern any different on any of these conditions:

Rainy day
Windy day
Cold or hot day

Prime would most generally be right off the roost . Weather could effect that though ,,among other things .
 Worse time is quiting time ,,,be it noon or sundown . Them turkeys are always out there,,,, but we can't be .

Rainy day they seem to try to get in more open areas such as road and fields .
 Windy days will find them down low out of the wind , in the woods or out in some fields . Wind makes every animal nervous .
 Cold and cloudy ,,they may be anywhere.
 Cold and clear ,, on a south facing slope or ridge where they can benefit from the sun.
 Hot ,,,,cloudy days ,,could be anywhere
 Hot clear day ,,,in the woods or shady places .

Nothing about turkeys is set in stone though . There is always gonna be exceptions to the ''General'' with turkeys .

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » February 23rd, 2011, 2:41 pm

Well I think Mark just about covered it for you Franco, but I'll add that I tend to have more success at about midmorning, sometime in between 9-11. I'd say early in the morning on the roost is when you'll hear 80% of the gobbling for the day, and if a gobbler's not roosting nearby with his harem of hens, you have a pretty good shot at taggin one at this time. But when season opens here in KY, it never fails that the birds are pretty much at their peak breeding period, so most of the birds are henned up. But as a few days begin to pass you'll start to get more and more hens starting to leave the gobbler at about 9-9:30 to go lay an egg. At this time is when the gobbler starts to get a little lonely and vulnerable. I used to leave the woods way too early when I started hunting, sometimes quitting at 9, but little did I know how much I was missing out on.

At least around here, if you haven't had much luck before about 8 or so the best thing to do is just sit tight for about an hour and just look, listen, and enjoy your time in the woods. When 9 rolls around I like to pick up my calling again and run and gun, if conditions are appropriate. Most of the land I hunt is open pasture and alfalfa fields, so I have to be careful when I run and gun, if I even do it at all.

I'm not sure what the worst time of the day is to hunt turkeys, if there even is one. I believe it's like Mark said, worst time is quitting time. This year I'm really going to try to spend as much time in the woods as I physically can. That includes maybe taking some lunch and a large water bottle so I don't have to come in to eat. Spring is my favorite time of the year and if there's one thing I've learned about turkey hunting, it's take advantage of any and all time you can be out there, even if it's 3 or 4 o'clock...you just never know what might happen!
Brian

MAKEemQUIVER

Postby MAKEemQUIVER » February 23rd, 2011, 3:19 pm

I love the daylight action but I have probably killed 80% of my birds between 10 and 2. Never cared much about hunting of the evening, mainly scout and try to roost one. Remember in rainy weather and right after a rain go to your fields or any kind of clearing.

grizzly

Postby grizzly » February 23rd, 2011, 11:04 pm

any time you're hunting is the best time cause you're not at work[:D] really there is no best time i've got toms the first half hour after open other times the toms seem to be hened up so i would back out go home take a power nap and a cup of coffee go out later in the morning and be successful . before and after rain storms here i can only hunt till noon but i'm sure where you can you can be successful in the afternoon . have said all that after giving some thought i have killed a bulk of my toms between 8:00 and 10:00 am . [:)]wayne

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » February 24th, 2011, 1:47 am

Dawn is a special time and I wouldn't want to miss a one of them. If the gobblers have hens though, and most do, it can be very difficult to call one in. There seems to be a lull after flydown for an hour or so. This is when the mating occurs a lot and the birds just seem get down to business for the day, many gobblers will not respond at this time and if they do its usually just a courtesy gobble. Then the flock heads off to feed.

As has been said 9 to 1 or so can be a great time to catch a gobbler looking for his hens. Hens may leave the gobbler to lay an egg as the season progresses and he goes looking for his mates. This may be the best time to hunt...if there is one.

IME the worst time of day is about 1 to 4. I have seen turkeys at this time just lounging around in the shade of a tree. Rarely do I get a gobbler to sound off at this time, but its certainly not impossible. A couple of times I have even seen them lay down and seemingly take a nap.

Around 4 the flock seems to get back to the evening feed, eventually working their way to a roost area.

I have hunted all day and still will some days, but if there is a time to recharge your batteries, its between 1 and 4 for me.

firelt72

Postby firelt72 » February 24th, 2011, 3:14 am

Sometimes the best action is 10am. I love the roost action and wouldn't miss it, but I also recall an article a couple years back in T&TH about a guy who hunts the mid morning and loves it. Obviously my favorite time is when I am out there. The roosted bird will be fun but the 5pm bird will too...if you are taking him home.
This may sound funny, but the best time depends on your birds. You will learn what they want. If you have hunting ground and the birds have tons of hens with them the best time may be nesting time when the toms are lonely. You may have an area that there are few hens and first light might do best. That is why scouting and roosting and trail cams are so important. The best time also depends on pressure. If you area public land guy and opening days might shut them down, but by 2 weeks into the season the "flash hunters" as I would call them...those that run into the woods and run out and can't get vacation time or are gung ho for the first few easy days quit when it gets to be work. After that you can score a great bird at all times of the day. That is what makes our sport wonderful. You never know. I like those surprises!
Eric
Local 4416 Hamilton County Fire Fighters
If it is bleeding or on fire I can usually fix it; Other than that we might be in trouble....

Longbeards

Postby Longbeards » February 24th, 2011, 4:38 am

I agree with everyone. I can tell you I have hunted at all the times and taken limb hangers as they come off the roost, I've busted them at noon looking for love and I've taken them during the evening brushing their beak before going to bed. Thanks.

Duke0002

Postby Duke0002 » February 24th, 2011, 5:55 am

Best time for me, 9:00 -Noon for field hunting. 
In the woods -after flydown.  
I prefer weekdays, rain or shine.  Less hunters afield during the week.

Don't think I have a worst time, probably quitting time as Mark said.

BigBuckeye

Postby BigBuckeye » February 24th, 2011, 10:04 am

Any time is a good time to hunt turkeys !!!  [:)]
I can't get any sleep!!!

Arnie

Next

Return to Strategies