Calling All Louisiana Hunters

Ben Sobieck

Calling All Louisiana Hunters

Postby Ben Sobieck » April 23rd, 2010, 6:34 am

We've made a special spot on the forum just for you. Let's hear about hunting turkeys in Louisiana.

mmichelli

RE: Calling All Louisiana Hunters

Postby mmichelli » May 8th, 2010, 8:01 am

It's been very hard since Katrina. Where I hunt in s.e. La the majority of trees were knocked down, creating a giant briar patch. (Deer hunting is great) Did not hear a gobble this spring, I guess they are done for. I have been traveling to Sherburne (Atachafalya basin) and managed 2 longbeards in the past 3 seasons. If not for my out of state travels, my spring pursuits would be pretty dull.

mountman62

Postby mountman62 » January 24th, 2011, 7:04 pm

Looks like Spring 2011 is looking up, the poult count was up in all but one region, not up as much as we need it, but still up, so everyone is getting geared up, GOOD LUCK
Mossy Oak Pro Staff - Louisiana Turkey
Heirloom Game Calls Pro Staff

Turkeywave

Postby Turkeywave » February 22nd, 2011, 2:51 pm

Finding a decent place to hunt in SE LA is hard. I live here but all the turkeys I've killed have been in Alabama and Mississippi. I would love to lease or join a club in the eastern Florida parishes. I'm wondering if some of the deer clubs or lessees might consider a "Spring turkeys only" membership.

mountman62

Postby mountman62 » April 8th, 2011, 7:51 pm

Well, the birds have been tight lipped all season, i did manage to take a pretty good bird on Monday, March 21 at 430 pm 20 lbs, 11 inch beard, solid sharp 1 inch spurs, but it has been tough, some are gobbling on the roost, then maybe once or twice on the ground, then go silent, but most still aren't gobbling at all, have seen single gobblers without hens that would gobble, respond to calling, but keep on going, i think they have turned gay, looking for another gobbler and not a hen, or else my calling just sucks, still have a week to try for #2, still going, GOOD LUCK to those whose season is just starting

Baxter

Postby Baxter » May 18th, 2011, 9:23 am

I do hunt in LA, but most of my turkeys are killed in Mississippi and Texas. Hope this "2011 Flood" does not do too much damage to the turkey population!
Baxter

mountman62

Postby mountman62 » May 22nd, 2011, 11:37 pm

ended up being one of my best years, not having taken a bird last year for the first time in 15 years, i took a good bird on the 3rd day of season, then took another good bird on the 4th saturday, went to Kansas for Good Firday, took 2 birds there on saturday before Easter, drove on up to Nebraska, took a bird there day after Easter, went to Texas on night of May 2, killed 3 birds in Texas on May 3, drove back home, all in all 8 birds in 4 states, with 6 out of state in 5 1/2 days, it was tough here, not much gobbling, and henned up most of the season, the hatch should be good all over the state except in the Atchafalaya Basin where most of the flooding is

Return to Louisiana