KY LBL hunting

kygobbler

KY LBL hunting

Postby kygobbler » December 26th, 2010, 4:40 pm

I was wondering if anyone has hunted at KY LBL (land between the lakes). I am interested on hunting down there but I never hear any info how the hunting is. If you look up how many birds are killed on KY Fish and Wildlife website there isn't very many birds killed, considering how much land there is. There are alot of possible scenerios for this and Im hoping someone can tell me if its worth the 3 1/2 hr drive or not. Thanks for ya's info and have a fun and safe new year.

MAKEemQUIVER

RE: KY LBL hunting

Postby MAKEemQUIVER » February 20th, 2011, 3:08 pm

Ive deer hunted down there and I know that there are plenty of turkeys down there. The first two weekends of season are draw only Im pretty sure.

MAKEemQUIVER

Postby MAKEemQUIVER » March 10th, 2011, 3:10 pm

Did u ever find any other info?

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » March 11th, 2011, 3:08 am

The only other info I got was from the boys at the ky hunting website. According to them the first two weeks its very crowded down there. They also said that one reason why the number of birds killed are so low is because of the hilly terrain. So pretty much I didnt get a lot of helpful info. I might still go down there but if I do it will be during the last week of the season.
Is it turkey season yet?

tradewater

Postby tradewater » March 12th, 2011, 11:06 am

hey there kygobbler. I live close to lbl and have hunted it several times. I met my now wife 3 yrs ago and she is from Ohio co. As close as you are to Peabody WMA, I wouldnt even think about going to LBL. Peabody WMA is awesome and covered up with turkeys. I have killed more turkeys there in 3 yrs than I have ever seen at LBL.

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » March 13th, 2011, 3:14 am

Hey tradewater, first welcome to the forum. I have thought about Peabody also. As far as public hunting land its the 2nd best in the state as far as kills goes. Last spring 182 birds bit the dust there and it makes me wonder one thing. How many hunters did it take to kill that many or more, because I be willing to bet some guys didn't report thier birds?[8|] Now I have never hunted public land and am curious as to how often do you set up on a gobbler and have someone come in and bust it up on you? Either way Im going to try some public hunting land this spring and see what happens.
Is it turkey season yet?

tradewater

Postby tradewater » March 13th, 2011, 1:51 pm

Kygobbler, I have only had one instance when someone came in on me at peabody. For the most part the main difference I have found with peabody and lbl, is that at lbl it seems like the turkeys are more concentrated to certain areas. whereas at peabody, I have never stopped at a spot in the morning and not heard at least 1 gobbler. Most of my success has come in the middle of the day but thats normally when i hunt there. I usually always hunt my farm in the morning and if i get skunked i can usually drive to peabody and get on a bird. They have added 1500 more acres this year so that ups the odds a little more.

Return to Kentucky