For you southern boys

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
retranger

For you southern boys

Postby retranger » February 20th, 2011, 3:50 am

After seeing pictures of the slithering creatures down there, 5 foot seems common. How do you fellows hunt turkeys???
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

rbewilson

RE: For you southern boys

Postby rbewilson » February 20th, 2011, 10:06 am

we watch where we step and sit[:D][:D][:D]

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » February 20th, 2011, 12:47 pm

I usually don't see the snakes. It always seems to be the guy following me that sees it after I step over it. I worry more about the alligators. I got between one and its pond 2 years ago..it growled at me. Made my skin crawl.
South Carolina Low Country

Bobbyparks

Postby Bobbyparks » February 20th, 2011, 6:39 pm

I just wear snake boots and poke my gun around when it"'s still dark in the spot I'm going sit-down in. Back when I hunted In the river swamp it was more of a gator worry thing.

Generally in the south we're just super tough and fearless and most of us just stomp on any snakes we see....a 5 footer is just about right to clean your boots off on[:)]
ACME PRO STAFF
Make Every Hunt a Blast With ACME Hunting Systems

dewey

Postby dewey » February 21st, 2011, 1:58 am

FREAKING snakes and alligators!!! I thought dealing with my mother in-law was bad enough.[:D]

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

BigBuckeye

Postby BigBuckeye » February 21st, 2011, 11:49 am

I don't much worry about it.  Chicks dig alligator and snakebite scars [:D]

It's the ticks that got me skerred[:@]
I can't get any sleep!!!

Arnie

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » February 21st, 2011, 1:27 pm

The bananna spiders are the worst. They are huge and their webs are like steel.

Longbeards

Postby Longbeards » February 22nd, 2011, 1:44 am

Our season in southeast Alabama is 15 Mar through 30 Apr. I have seen snakes, had spiders crawl on me and skeeters by the millions bite me all over. The one thing that scares me is coyotes. My son and I were set up one morning and waited on a tom we roosted the evening prior. We heard him fly down and I cut and yelped and here he came. A hen walked right by us and yelped so we stayed quite waiting on Mr. Strutter. My youngest son, 6yr at the time, was sitting down in front of me waiting to shoot ole Tom in the face. Something moving off to my right caught my eye. I slowly turned to see a coyote focused on what he thought made that yelp which was my son and starting running at us. There is no other way to descibe it than to say he was "focused" on us. I had just enough time to grab the gun from my son and turn toward the coyote. The barrel hit him and I squeezed the trigger and sent him to say hi to Elvis. I have seen many but, normally they are in a hurry to get away from you. Thanks.

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » February 22nd, 2011, 3:07 am

I've had bobcats and foxes come in to my set ups. I worry about hogs when going in, in the mornings. I am always watching for the yotes but have yet to see one. I think one is going to sneak up behind me. They have good noses and can usually smell the bug juice and cigar smoke. I think that's what keeps 'em away. Those damn spiders though...

dewey

Postby dewey » February 22nd, 2011, 3:08 am

I am glad we don't have alligators, snakes, giant spiders and that usually it is early enough in the year that most of the bugs, mosiquots & ticks, are not out yet. Mid to late April it is beautiful in MN as everything is turning green and the mornings are ususally still fairly cool.

It is very interesting to hear everyone else's encounters when hunting.

Rob that is quite the hair raising encounter you and your son had with that coyote.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Next

Return to Strategies