DIY Projects

Discussions not related to turkey hunting and clean humor
kenturkey89

DIY Projects

Postby kenturkey89 » February 19th, 2011, 11:57 am

A few weeks ago a forum member posted a question asking everyone which brand of shooting sticks they prefere. Shaman posted a do it yourself link showing you how to make your own set of shooting sticks. I always wanted a set of shooting sticks but never wanted to pay $50 or more to have them, so I decided I'd try my hand at it. I took the straightest two tobacco sticks from the barn that I could find and cut them to 36" to where they were square on both ends. I put a nail in the bottom of both of them to keep them from slipping when I put the gun on them, and I put a bolt about 6" from the top of the sticks to hold them together. I wrapped the sticks in camo tape and finished it off with leather straps for the gun to rest on. Total cost: $4 for the camo tape.

After tackling that little project I wondered what else I could do myself. I watched a video on youtube that showed how to make a wrist sling for your bow, which I have also needed. I used two different strands of 550lb. paracord to make my sling: dessert camo and black. I took it out yesterday to shoot with it for the first time on my 1999 Hoyt Accel and loved it. I can't wait to take it to the woods this fall.

I recently just started coyote hunting, and I learned quickly that it's hard to carry all the calls around without them banging together and also I'm scared I may mess up the reeds if I stuff them in my pocket or something, so I decided to make myself a lanyard. I love the look of it and I love how much easier the calls are to get to. Total Cost: $10 for 100ft. of paracord, which I used for both the sling and the lanyard and I still have plenty of it left over.

I've never posted any pictures in any of my posts before so I hope this works.

Brian

mark hay

RE: DIY Projects

Postby mark hay » February 19th, 2011, 1:01 pm

Got yourself some fine looking tools there Brian . My hat's off to ya feller .

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » February 19th, 2011, 3:17 pm

Brian you did a good job on all three of those gadjets saved a pile of money too.
They should work out well congrats.

Jon
Turkeybuster

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » February 21st, 2011, 4:14 am

Good job Brian[:)] Those spools of para cord will keep getting smaller and smaller.
Your pictures look to be about the correct size. If you go your post and click EDIT, when it opens go to the bottom and click the box next to "Embed picture in post" your pictures will majically appear in your post[:D]
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » March 2nd, 2011, 11:53 am

How many things can tobacco sticks be used for?
Great ideas there. I have some 'bacca sticks that I've cut in half, glued gutter nails into the bottom of, strung parachute cord between 'em, and draped camo cloth over it to make an inexpensive portable curtain blind.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » March 2nd, 2011, 2:04 pm

That's a pretty good idea there Jim. I'll have to take a further look into something like that, especially since I plan on filming some of my hunts this year. I have a small video camera and a sturdy little tripod that I've been toying around with, trying to figure out all the buttons and controls so I'm not trying to learn anything new when I'm out in the woods. I think a little curtain blind like the one you've mentioned would be a great idea to help conceal my camera and me as well.

But I used the shooting sticks last week to pattern my gun and some 3" Hevy-Shot and I was amazed at how solid and sturdy it was. It's so funny, when you start hunting you think you have to buy the most expensive gadget or accessory to make you a "better" hunter that you overlook some of the simplest (and cheapest) ideas. Like I said, the only think I paid for was the camo tape...$3[;)]
Brian

MAKEemQUIVER

Postby MAKEemQUIVER » March 3rd, 2011, 3:37 pm

Good job Brian, everything looks good.

Return to Off Topic