good knife ?

Discussions not related to turkey hunting and clean humor
JustinBarley

good knife ?

Postby JustinBarley » February 16th, 2011, 10:23 am

Hey people...
I got my eye on one - RATT RC-5 Survival knife (ESEE is the company's name now)
but i`m kinda low on cash and can`t afford spending 200$ on it at the moment ...
So my question is: What is your suggestion on a good hunting/survival knife ?

tex3012

RE: good knife ?

Postby tex3012 » February 17th, 2011, 5:40 am

honestly, any knife you can get your hands on.. i believe spending $200 on a knife is a little overkill. a $30 knife can cut just as much as a $200 knife..

dewey

Postby dewey » February 17th, 2011, 5:54 am

ORIGINAL: tex3012

honestly, any knife you can get your hands on.. i believe spending $200 on a knife is a little overkill. a $30 knife can cut just as much as a $200 knife..

I agree 100% with tex3012. I have a Gerber knife that I use for turkeys and deer. It has a gut hook and it has cut up a handful of deer and turkey over the past few years and I don't think I spent more than $30 on it.

The knife I have is like this one.

http://www.emergencymatters.com/item--G ... ding--1060

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » February 17th, 2011, 8:35 am

^^I don't think I would ever spend more than $50 or so on one individual knife. I'm sure I could find a way to put the other $150 to good use. Now if you wanted to by a set or kit of knives, that's a different story. I wouldn't mind spending a little money on a butcher or processing kit that contains different types and styles of knives because they can be used for different things. I've seen knives on Cabelas and similar websites for over $200, which I think is ridiculous, especially considering you can buy a respectable knife like dewey posted for 1/10th the cost.

I don't think you can go wrong with knives like Gerber or Buck. Of course some of their knives can be a little pricy, but both of them have solid knives in many different price ranges.
Brian

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » March 5th, 2011, 2:31 pm

ORIGINAL: JustinBarley

Hey people...
I got my eye on one - RATT RC-5 Survival knife (ESEE is the company's name now)
but i`m kinda low on cash and can`t afford spending 200$ on it at the moment ...
So my question is: What is your suggestion on a good hunting/survival knife ?

I have many knives.....and yes....I`ve spent high dollar on a few of them.......but, you can buy a legend of a knife for not much money. The Buck 110 hunter, (in my opinion), is as high quality a knife as you`ll find for any money......shop around online, you can find this knife for as little as $35.00........I found a sweet deal at LL Bean.com and got the 110 hunter and a small pocket folder too........

There are other great survival type knives out there, but that`s likely a topic for another day........check out the Buck 110 hunter, it`s been around for a long time, and there`s a reason why......

eggshell

Postby eggshell » March 6th, 2011, 7:29 am

talking of knives, my number 1 hunting and fishing buddy makes some beautiful knives. below is a picture.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » March 8th, 2011, 10:49 am

^ That's pretty work Dana. Your buddy does a fine job. I'd have a tough time taking one of those to the woods for fear of losing it.

I have a Gerber in my turkey vest (don't even know what model) that I wouldn't cry over if I lost. I keep a Buck Lite in my deer hunting pack that has been through loads of game in the 25 years I've had it. I use my grandfather's K-bar for skinning & trimming when I have deer hung on the gambrel in the garage because it holds an edge like nobody's business.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

williambwbill

Postby williambwbill » March 10th, 2011, 4:03 am

Depends on what you want the knife to do! Do you want it for field dressing, or for just what ever you can imagine might happen? Survival knife? Plan on gettig lost? I would carry a standard multi tool, that will handle most of your basic needs. Pliers. screw drivers, can opener, file, ect they all have to lock. A standard lock blade in the point style you like. Pruning shears and a folding pruning saw for heaver duty limbs. You will be hard pressed to find a single knife that will do everything you might need it to do in the turkey woods.
Wild Bill

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » March 10th, 2011, 6:52 am

I don't see why the Havalon knife wouldn't be a great knife for a turkey hunter. They're unbelievably sharp, and work great on deer and everything else.

Having said that, I often don't field dress until I get home anyway if I'm not far away.

Steve
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

customcutter

Postby customcutter » March 27th, 2011, 10:24 am

This is an extremely loaded question.  Before I started making knives 15+ years ago I had paid more than $50 for a Gerber, which IMHO was one of the best edge holding knives I had ever owned.  First of all you need to determine what you want the knife to do.  You don't want to skin a deer with a machete, peel an orange with a butcher knife, or butcher a steer with a paring knife.

You also may want a knife that is easily sharpened.  They usually don't hold an edge well.  If you want an edge that is easily sharpened it will have a thinner edge.  Not good, if you're planning on cutting across bone or other hard surfaces.  You'll need more of a "chisel" type edge.

Also many "custom" makers use steels that will hold an edge 5 to 20 times longer than the average over the counter knife purchased.

Hope this helps in your decision.
CC

Return to Off Topic