Yep, another noobie gear question

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
Robert Brochu

Yep, another noobie gear question

Postby Robert Brochu » February 10th, 2011, 1:36 pm

This is probably a stupid question, however I'm not afraid of being laughed at so here goes.

I am just starting to get into this hunting thing. I've shot squirrels a time or two and went deer hunting ONCE but I was younger and didn't have the patience then. Now I THINK i have matured enough(HA HA) to take up the challenges of hunting and am actually going to start with yeah you guessed it TURKEYS!!

I have the gun part covered and I recently bought some realtree ap camo but it seems to me that what I bought is more fall-ish in its coloration. Our turkey season starts 4-18 thru 5-8 so I know things will be greening up. Will this camo be sufficient or should I buy different and use what I have for deer and fall turkey? Also, besides a couple of calls, what other gear do I NEED to carry into the woods with me?

No one I know turkey hunts so I'm having to do this on my own and am sure I will be asking a lot of other stupid questions, but please try not to laugh too much. I have thick skin but a chainsaw will cut thru the toughest bark.

hunter177

RE: Yep, another noobie gear question

Postby hunter177 » February 10th, 2011, 1:44 pm

Welcome to the Forum and to turkey hunting. The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked. Any of the standard camo patterns from Realtree or Mossy Oak will be fine. I like to wear the Mossy Oak New Break Up on the bottom and Realtree AP on the top. Try some 3" shells with #5 or #6 shot. As far as calls I'd say get a crow call for locating birds and start with a slate and/or box call until you get more experience. Then you can try a mouth call which most guys feel are the hardest to learn. If you have other questions, don't hesitate to ask, there's a lot of very knowledgeable guys on here. Good luck!

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » February 10th, 2011, 1:57 pm

I have never heard of a stupid question when it comes to turkey hunting because we all when starting out probably ask them ourself so no need to be shy.
You should get a head net and a pair of camo gloves and the camo you have will be fine.
Sitting still is more important than your camo also be sure you have a good pair of boots as a turkey hunter lives on his feet. These are the basics and you will add to this as you go along probably to the point that you will almost need a wheelbarrow to carry your STUFF!
If you don't have a turkey vest with a drop seat you may want to consider getting one.
You don't have to spend a lot of money on one just make sure it has adequate pockets and a good thick foam seat. Good Luck and be safe.

Jon
Turkeybuster

Timber Chicken

Postby Timber Chicken » February 10th, 2011, 1:57 pm

Just remember everyone had a first time. Some just started earlier. Sounds like your on the right path though.
Experience is the best teacher.

bow_junky

Postby bow_junky » February 10th, 2011, 3:42 pm

Any camo will work bud.  I personally think its a matter of movement.  If camo played that big of a role then I think I wouldnt have as many turkeys walk by in deer season while Im in all that blaze orange. 
Just try to find a shady spot when you set up cause that will hide movement and obviously reduce any glare.  But definately be aware of any movement.  Those birds are are crazy imfamous for picking out the slightest goof especially if your out in the open.  Good luck fellow Missourian

ThomasWILDLIFE

Postby ThomasWILDLIFE » February 10th, 2011, 4:57 pm

Welcome to the best and most frustrating obsesion on the face of the earth! Take all of the advise that you get to heart. The best ways to learn are trial and error and from the "good ol boys"! Good luck and happy hunting!

shaman

Postby shaman » February 11th, 2011, 12:36 am

What gear do you NEED?

Lessee.. . You have a gun, calls, some camo.  

You'll need a hat, a facemask and some gloves. 

I'd throw in something to sit on.  I use one or two small foam pads.  Some guys like the pad that hangs off their vest.  I also pre-position camo boat cushions in my favorite spots.

The rest is all going to be dictated by where you hunt.  As a for-instance hunt within a half mile of my own camp.   I may put a thermos of coffee in my deke bag, a sandwich and a coke if I'm going to be out long, and then leave it in my first set-up.  However, I'm not packing for a 10 mile hike on public land.

Do take these things, even if you're just going out in the back yard:

1)  compass -- two cheap pin-ons  are fine.
2)  matches and tinder (dryer lint works fine)
3)  whistle
4)  Writing material

Read this: Shamanic Guide to Survival (short form)

The rest is covered in this:
What's in your Bag?

.. . and this:[url=http://genesis9.angzva.com/?p=250]
What's in your Vest?[/url]

. . . and yes, this gets talked about a lot, here and elsewhere.
[url=http://genesis9.angzva.com/?p=8]
[/url]
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

ghamlin10

Postby ghamlin10 » February 11th, 2011, 2:35 am

there arent any dumb questions, just the ones not asked.
I myself hadnt had any problems with my gun having camo, my shotgun has a grey wood finish, hasnt mattered yet. I think it would probly be best if the gun you use does not have a glossy finish. To save movey u can buy some camo gun tape.

dewey

Postby dewey » February 11th, 2011, 3:06 am

Like others have said don't worry about a dumb question because we have all been there at one time. As for the camo don't worry about the pattern but worry about NOT moving and breaking up your sihloutte. I try to put branches/grass or something in front of me or to the side so that way I can blend into the surroundings easier.

I also agree with a turkey vest that has a drop down seat. I have one a LOT like this one, a nice comfy seat is very important. Camo gloves, camo hat and a faccemask or head net are also essential items.

http://www.basspro.com/Russell-Outdoors ... 1/-1199620

One tip I would suggest is when you have your spot figured out take sticks and push them into the ground at 40 or less yards from your spot in a semit circle pattern. This provides a deadly range for turkeys without having to guess at how far they are away from you and the turkeys won't pay attention to the sticks.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Robert Brochu

Postby Robert Brochu » February 11th, 2011, 3:13 am

I hadn't thought about the stick idea for range. That is a great idea. I really like that one. From what I have read of the replies so far a turkey vest of some sort, box or peg and pot call and no movement are about the only other things I need to get. Thanks for the help guys.

Sounds like I am going to be back home tomorrow evening so should be able to get to the range Sunday to pattern the shotgun. Temperature is rising for the weekend so won't freeze to death while playing either.

Oh wait patterning a shotgun is work and not playing right?

Next

Return to Strategies