Conclusion: Hurry Sundown

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » February 9th, 2011, 4:19 am

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, and then see how things actually turned out.

Not wanting to see any more Rios fly around the landscape, I opted to sit tight. There was a chance more birds would filter through the area, and I liked my setup. It was Texas, after all, and there was almost always another turkey nearby.

The breeze died about an hour before sundown, so I cranked up my calling, getting fairly aggressive on a raspy glass call. After one sequence, I paused and cocked my ear. Had I heard a gobble? I waited a minute and then yelped again. Sure enough.

The bird was high atop a mesquite flat overlooking the field. And when I called to him again, there was no doubt he was coming. In fact, that gobbler ran down the hill, raced to within 25 steps of my tree and then popped his white head high.

Resplendent in the late-afternoon light, that gobbler might have been the prettiest I've ever seen. And when he flopped at the shot, I felt even better about my decision to enjoy the Texas sunset.

What decision did you make?

Click here to return to the scenario.

Click here to get all the great new gear you'll need for the Spring 2011 season!

dewey

RE: Conclusion: Hurry Sundown

Postby dewey » February 9th, 2011, 5:26 am

Another good situation and decision Brian! These are great reads and will help me someday when I am in a similar condition.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

boxcallkid

Postby boxcallkid » February 9th, 2011, 4:37 pm

Good call, When you know what your partner will do, in this case not move. ( I'm assuming) It allowed you to sit tight and tuff it out.
I love precious metals! Gold and silver are good,
But the ROI in guns are more fun!

TeocTom

Postby TeocTom » February 10th, 2011, 7:14 am

Your friend still needs to go to the shooting range to work out whatever is going on.
Good thing it worked out!
Eric
Team 4
Turkeys on a Plane

Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » February 10th, 2011, 7:44 am

I'm happy to report that my buddy figured things out and shot a dandy longbeard the next week.

TeocTom

Postby TeocTom » February 10th, 2011, 5:04 pm

Another bird bites the dust!
Awesome![:)]
Eric
Team 4
Turkeys on a Plane

TRapper

Postby TRapper » March 27th, 2011, 8:58 am

good call, i think either decision would have been a good one, takes a lot of patience to sit and wait it out.
Joshua "TRapper" Jones
Dream Sportsman Trips at Dream Prices
http://trapperstravel.roviadreams.com/d ... /tripslist

Return to Decision Time