Boy ,,,I SURE WISH,,

Discussions not related to turkey hunting and clean humor
mark hay

Boy ,,,I SURE WISH,,

Postby mark hay » February 4th, 2011, 9:34 am

Someone would tell us some hair raising adventures in the the gathering and making of Maple Syrple,,,Dana,,,[:D]

eggshell

RE: Boy ,,,I SURE WISH,,

Postby eggshell » February 4th, 2011, 5:08 pm

Talk to the weatherman about some warmer temperatures and maybe I'll have some stories....trees are tapped and evaporator set up and no sap

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » February 4th, 2011, 6:04 pm

I can still smell the aroma of the sap cooking, when dad used to make. All the little kids in the neighborhood would walk past and ask, what you doing Mr. dad would say, I'm getting maple syrup out of this here tree. They would look in the buckets a say, that ain't maple syrup it ain't brown. [:D]
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

mark hay

Postby mark hay » February 5th, 2011, 9:55 am

Well , I guess I'll just have to work on my ''Patience'' till the weather cooperates .

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » February 5th, 2011, 1:41 pm

Three maple syrup makers, one from Indiana, one from Wisconson and one from Ohio all found a mouse in the bucket one morning. The Indiana farmer dumped the bucket out and replaced it with another[8D]. The Wisconson farmer looked around and not seeing anyone fished the mouse out and dumped the contents in the gather tank[:'(]. The Buckeye farmer looked around and seeing the coast was clear picked the mouse up and wrang out the sap before pitching the critter[:D][:@][:'(][X(].
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

eggshell

Postby eggshell » February 6th, 2011, 1:32 am

dang right Steve, every drop is precious. Some day they'll teach those other boys the value of sap in Maple School.  You got to get up before the gobbler to beat a buckeye. Haven't you ever wondered why Ohio syrup taste just a little better.

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » February 6th, 2011, 6:53 am

Some day they'll teach those other boys the value of sap in Maple School.

Dana, that is where my son learned about the different syrups. They take the kids to a local sugarbush to help gather and render the syrup. They get pancakes and fresh syrup for lunch and get to bring a pint home.
Maple makes a great sweetner in coffee too.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

eggshell

Postby eggshell » February 8th, 2011, 9:08 am

OK, I am not sure what kinda of story or saga i could tell about making Maple Syrup, but here's some pictures. I am temporarily set up outside my house , s last year I was set up at a friends place in a building and it was a hassle hauling sap 11 miles to the evaporator. I had planned on a new building but some kinda hefty medicals bills took my shed money. I took this picture Feb. 8th after a small sap run I decided to boil what I had as the next three or four days are supposed to be bitter cold. I am only a small timer with this hobby size evaporator, but I hope to sale enough  to pay for some turkey hunting. I should make about 20 gallons of syrup this spring. 

mark hay

Postby mark hay » February 8th, 2011, 9:55 am

That's a neat looking oufit Dana . What is that large coil of copper tubing for ?[8|]

eggshell

Postby eggshell » February 8th, 2011, 10:04 am

It's a preheater for sap before it goes into the main pan...man you got good eyes, I can't even see it for the steam.

You know I think I saw a turkey drinking out of one of my buckets in the woods. So I ought to be allowed to shoot the nuisance, right. Hmmm was just thinking, wonder if he taste like maple?

Next

Return to Off Topic