new turkey hunting - picking a spot

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
roycefromrc

RE: new turkey hunting - picking a spot

Postby roycefromrc » February 7th, 2011, 9:05 am

Hey guys,what about decoys.should I have one? Do I get a big tom or a submissive hen. Spring season hunting in the black hills of south dakota.Im also thinkin two mouth calls and a box call.
caution: I make bad decisions.

Bobbyparks

Postby Bobbyparks » February 8th, 2011, 1:55 pm

Royce,

I have never hunted South Dakota but I hope to some day.

I have hunted Merriams out west for several years.

Even when I hunted with decoys here in Georgia Innever used em or felt I needed them out west.

the birds responded extremely well to high pitched box calls and high raspy glass or crystal pot calls. they just seemed to come in fine with out a decoy stuck out there.

I'm sure they could work but my experience has been Merriams can be called in without any thing other than a decent set up and steady calling.

The box calls and pot calls mentioned can be heard from a long ways and cut through the wind. Good trolling tool to find birds

bobby
ACME PRO STAFF
Make Every Hunt a Blast With ACME Hunting Systems

Fargohunt

Postby Fargohunt » March 5th, 2011, 2:38 pm

Franco,

You'll not find better folks that share great hunting info like Shamen, Bobby Parks, Jim at Cut-n-run and the others.

I'll add this to support Shamans comments about spring food, my last three gobblers, opening day of the past 3 years all had their crops absolutely stuffed with CLOVER

yelp_wanted

Postby yelp_wanted » March 20th, 2011, 4:17 pm

Franco,
I'm a little late to the game on your post, but take a look at this:
http://www.nwtf.org/images/range_map_full.jpg

This is the NWTF's map of species location throughout the US. Notice how mid-west and western states where the populations are smaller, they're concentrated around the creeks and rivers.

It does depend a lot on your terrain, but where I hunt we have one large creek that runs through the property. About 500 yards from the creek we have a powerline that cuts through. I find and hear most of my turkey sign in the area of creek to the power lines and then another 300 yards or so into the woods on the other side of the power line.

Hope this is of some help.

roycefromrc

Postby roycefromrc » March 21st, 2011, 9:41 am

Thanks Bobby, Ill hold off on the decs.My bro-inlaw will be bringing a couple out for opener anyway.i hope your right about these SD Merriams.Cant wait to call in some birds.i do have quite a few calls. box,crystal,slate,crow,owl and a mouth call I just cant seem to master.good luck bro.
Royce
caution: I make bad decisions.

retranger

Postby retranger » March 21st, 2011, 10:04 am

Welcome to the club Royce I can't master them either. Tried for a couple years with much help, so I gave them up and doing fine without them.
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

shad309

Postby shad309 » March 21st, 2011, 12:11 pm

ORIGINAL: Franco

In turkey hunting, what do you base your spot/location on? I have lots of land available, so how do I prepare for my first hunt in picking where to go?

You pick me up at 4am and I will show ya [;)]

Previous

Return to Strategies