Do you use a chair, stool, vest, or some combination of the above?

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
WyoHunter

RE: Do you use a chair, stool, vest, or some combination of the above?

Postby WyoHunter » February 4th, 2011, 10:32 am

I just bought a Mossy Oak Super Elite III vest which has a very nice drop down 2 1/2" thick pad. Most of the time I just sit down against a tree when I have a bird coming to the call. I'm a run-and-gunner so I don't spend much time sitting. In the country I hunt you have to move a lot to locate gobblers.
Gobble, Gobble, Gobble! Springtime serenade for us Turkey Hunters!

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » February 5th, 2011, 4:32 am

I have a nice vest with the drop down pad and padded back. It gets uncomfortably warm in the late season. I was given a little remmington stool in a bag during deer season. It was nice to sit on but awkward to tote around. I need to rig some kind of carry strap to it and ditch the noisy bag. I'll give it a try but i'm not so sure about it.
South Carolina Low Country

arrowsonly

Postby arrowsonly » February 5th, 2011, 5:51 am

The most comfy chair I can find; I call to much & sleppin' in the chair helps. I watch for turkeys with my ears if you know what I mean. After being in the woods for so long I become part of it by closing my eyes & listening to every sound.
look em' in the eye before you give em' the shaft...
be a man hunt public land...

shaman

Postby shaman » February 5th, 2011, 8:33 am

I pre-position camo boat cushions at some of my favorite spots.  I also carry one or two small foam pads.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » February 5th, 2011, 9:28 am

I have an old vest that has a seat cushion but it's starting to get a little worn down. I had some left over memory foam from a bed mattress that was about 6" thick so I just cut out a rectangle and sewed a camouflage handkerchief around it and I use it when I'm up in the tree stand or sitting on the ground and it works great. Eventually, I'm going to get the gobbler lounger because my back's not the greatest and I want something that I'll be a little more comfortable with.
Brian

Longbeards

Postby Longbeards » February 24th, 2011, 12:19 am

I think the Gobbler Lounger is a very comfortable seat. It allows me to remain in one position without having to shift cheeks every 5 min or so. I do use a different type seat when I am not familier with the area and I know I will be moving around. I take a small inflatable tube and put it in an Army laundry bag. It is comfortable and quite. Something simple and quick. Oh, it's also very easy to carry.......in addition to the 400lbs of Turkey killing equipment I carry.

TURKEYBOSS

Postby TURKEYBOSS » February 25th, 2011, 9:25 am

WHAT I USE REALLY DEPENDS ON WHAT I AM DOING, I DO AT TIMES SIT IN A GROUND BLIND IN A BAG CHAIR BUT FOR THE MOST PART I USE THE GOBBLERLOUNGE FOR MY EARLIER MORNING SETUPS. BUT USUALLY BY THE AFTERNOON WE ARE OUT LOOKING TO GET IN FRONT OF A TOM THAT IS OUT ON THE MOVE AND THEN I WANT TO BE AS LIGHT AND MOBILE AS I CAN BE SO THEN I JUST SWITCH TO THE PAD THAT IS ATTACHED TO MY VEST. BUT ONCE THAT TOM IS COMING IT REALLY DOESNT MATTER IF IM SITTING ON A CLOUD OR IF IM SITTING ON A SHARP ROCK I DONT NOTICE.

turkeylimb

Postby turkeylimb » February 25th, 2011, 2:29 pm

Sometimes a vest pad somestimes hs strut folding leg seat.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » February 27th, 2011, 2:58 am

Well since everyone was raving about the Cabelas Gobbler Lounger I bought one...and all I can say is wow, what a difference!  It's a little bigger and heavier than I expected but will work great!  Get's my vote!

MoJack

Postby MoJack » February 28th, 2011, 4:08 am

I have the Gobbler Lounger and it is very comfortable and the only chair I can sit dead still in for a long period.  I have found 3 problems with it though, 1) it is a bit heavy to carry if you are going to be on the move, especially if you also carry a backpack, vest, gun ...etc like me.  2) the carrying strap is short and it is constantly sliding off of my shoulder.  The strap is too short to go diagonal across my back, so I am fighting the d&^%$^&* thing most of the day.  3rd, is that if you wear a vest, once you are in the chair it is nearly impossible to get gear out of the lower pockets because they are trapped in beside the chair arms.  I have eventually worked all those out besides the weight of the thing, but if you are not going to move around a lot and don't have to walk too far to your set up, I would reccomend it.

I also have the Ameristep version, and don't waste your money. Not nearly as comfortable, hard to get out of once your in it (without making a big racket), and the legs never seem to find level ground close up against a tree.

If I am am going to be on the move I have one of those web folding stools that I strapped a cushion to.  I leave my pad on my vest up to provide cushion for my back.

I would think that someone would come up with a vest with a sturdy frame chair attached to it like a backpack, I think they would sell (I am sure I would add it to my 'collection')     ;-)
Professional Turkey Scarer Awayer

PreviousNext

Return to Strategies